The Student Room Group

Do you fit winter tyres to your car?

Poll

As the weather begins to take a turn for the worst with snow appearing across the country, I'm wondering..

There's some debate about whether they're worth it in the UK, so I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Nope. Only drive local currently, if I can't get there, I can walk it. I feel like it might be more useful in America/Canada etc
(edited 5 years ago)
I've used my winter tyres all year tbh

Spoiler

this is actually a thing in the UK???
Original post by IWMTom
As the weather begins to take a turn for the worst with snow appearing across the country, I'm wondering..

There's some debate about whether they're worth it in the UK, so I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I don't.

Same!
Reply 5
Original post by CollectiveSoul
this is actually a thing in the UK???

Yep! Winter tyres are recommended for whenever the temperature drops below 7 degrees, as they perform better in the cold than a standard summer tyre does.

It's a common misconception that a winter tyre is only for heavy snowfall.
Nope - tbh I only drive in mild frost/ice anything else or snow I wouldn’t I don’t think it’s worth the risk
Reply 7
No, I should because I drive a lot but honestly it’s too expensive to fork out for a set of winter tyres. I just take extra care when it’s below 4-5°C
I can't afford a set of winter tyres on top of everything else my car requires. When it's too cold, I either don't drive far or walk.
Reply 9
After spending some time riding a motorcycle in the snow/ice, driving a car with all season tyres in simular conditions is an improvment.
Nope, too expensive for a full tyre change. I have Michelin Pilot Sport 3s and they perform very well in the wet and when it's icy. Know the limits of your car and drive to the conditions and it shouldn't be a problem.
Reply 11
I used to re an older Merc Estate (RWD) I had, we have a house in Sweden so they were required if I took the ferry over between October and April when a ferry ran from UK to Scandinavia (Now Netherlands is nearest ferry crossing so tend not to use it for shorter winter holidays, only in summer when winter tyres are not required as it takes nearly 3 days to travel from UK to Sweden by road involving nearly 1000 miles and an overnight ferry)

I had Gislaveds and they were excellent, the road to our house in Sweden is through wooded countryside about 15 miles from the E20 ( main Gothenburg to Stockholm road) and with them on , and possibly 12 inches of snow on our fairly steep driveway and permanent ice on roads, with up to -10 daytime temperatures, the car performed with no issues, up to 35 mph up the back road, with dips and rises, with no feeling it was ever going to lose its footing.

In my experience if you do a lot of winter driving on snow or ice they are worthwhile.
what are winter tyres
Reply 13
Original post by tesconyc
what are winter tyres

Tyres for winter.
Reply 14
Original post by tesconyc
what are winter tyres

Tyres that perform better in cold weather and on ice and snow than tyres not designed for these conditions.

Like some of these:

https://www.gislaved-tyres.com/car/tyres

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending