The Student Room Group

struggling with a level chem

heyy so im in year 12 and im doing bio,chem and maths. im particularly struggling in chemistry at the moment and i am worried i wont get predicted an a coz i want AAA predicted to apply for uni courses. any advice??
:smile:
Original post by shirin15
heyy so im in year 12 and im doing bio,chem and maths. im particularly struggling in chemistry at the moment and i am worried i wont get predicted an a coz i want AAA predicted to apply for uni courses. any advice??

You could look at getting a tutor?

My other advice is do every past paper you can get your hands on
Definitely go to your teachers and ask for help straight away, usually with chemistry when you don’t understand one lesson you don’t understand the next and it becomes a whole chapter you don’t understand. Definitely do past papers and you could watch some YouTube videos on the stuff you’re doing at the moment. Try to read ahead too so you will have already seen the content so won’t get so thrown by it. There’s definitely still time to improve your grade if you address the issues you have now.
Hi im in yr 11 i also need help i really want to do biology for a levels as im very interested in it but im doing foundation and my teachers have said i can not do it because you need at least a 6 in science not a 5 in gcse. My teacher had also said that i could do applied science which is mainy course work but i dont know what to do. Also is it possible for me to go and do my second sets of mocks in february and possibly if i revise hard enough get a five and move up one set and do higher?
Original post by milly2003

(Original post by milly2003)Hi im in yr 11 i also need help i really want to do biology for a levels as im very interested in it but im doing foundation and my teachers have said i can not do it because you need at least a 6 in science not a 5 in gcse. My teacher had also said that i could do applied science which is mainy course work but i dont know what to do. Also is it possible for me to go and do my second sets of mocks in february and possibly if i revise hard enough get a five and move up one set and do higher?

You can!! My teachers at gcse told me to give up came out with A* so...
Reply 5
Original post by Charlottie0201
Definitely go to your teachers and ask for help straight away, usually with chemistry when you don’t understand one lesson you don’t understand the next and it becomes a whole chapter you don’t understand. Definitely do past papers and you could watch some YouTube videos on the stuff you’re doing at the moment. Try to read ahead too so you will have already seen the content so won’t get so thrown by it. There’s definitely still time to improve your grade if you address the issues you have now.

yeah i am asking my teachers when im stuck. the thing is i think im doing all right in tests but when i get it back i get a pretty crappy mark. i know im capable but getting bad marks just makes me lose motivation if you know what i mean. i guess i just have to keep at it

Are you stuck on something specific?
Or the whole chem course?
Reply 7
Original post by LPauling
You could look at getting a tutor?

My other advice is do every past paper you can get your hands on

yep im considering a tutor its just tackling certain questions i think. like i think ive answered well but i havent done enough to get the marks or i didnt have the right concept
Reply 8
Original post by milly2003
Hi im in yr 11 i also need help i really want to do biology for a levels as im very interested in it but im doing foundation and my teachers have said i can not do it because you need at least a 6 in science not a 5 in gcse. My teacher had also said that i could do applied science which is mainy course work but i dont know what to do. Also is it possible for me to go and do my second sets of mocks in february and possibly if i revise hard enough get a five and move up one set and do higher?

hi! i see your interest but a levels are pretty hard and even if you enjoy it, you still need to be getting good grades in those subjects. trust me a levels are hard, even if you've done pretty well at gcse! so maybe rethink your options but keep sticking at it with doing well in biology. i do biology coz i enjoy it and need it to apply for uni, not for the sake of it. just remember there are other options xx.
Reply 9
hi! i see your interest but a levels are pretty hard and even if you enjoy it, you still need to be getting good grades in those subjects. trust me a levels are hard, even if you've done pretty well at gcse! so maybe rethink your options but keep sticking at it with doing well in biology. i do biology coz i enjoy it and need it to apply for uni, not for the sake of it. just remember there are other options xx.

but dont give up though! keep working hard xx

Quick Reply

Latest