The Student Room Group

What A levels to take??

I know I want to take bio and chem but I don't know what I want to do for the third subject and I'm so confused, I don't really know what I want to study at uni later on and I don't have a career path in mind.
I've been to see a college to see my options and spoke to a physics teacher because it was something I considered but he was adamant I really know what I want to do before picking a subject, but I don't and i don't know how to figure it out??
Idk I'm really stressed out now especially the fact he grilled it in properly I feel like I've got no idea where I'm going.
Anyone in a similar situation or been in one know what to do? xx
Im in a similar situation completely, i would advise to just think about what you enjoy vs a subject youre good, and take the one which averages out best (within reason) if you dont know a career path why make one (im not idk) surely taking subjects you like will lead you to a career you will most likely enjoy
Reply 2
You want to take bio and chem so i assume you may want to go into a science-y field?
I would strongly suggest something that will ease the stress - maybe something like psychology ( very easy to get higher marks) as oppose to physics.
Ultimately, it is the 3 grades at the end of your studies that matter, not what they came from - unless ofcourse you want to go on to study physics, in which case physics at A level may be required from you.
If not, the smart thing to do would be take the easy route to the highest grade to ensure you'll get into a good uni, so on and so forth.
Bio Chem and Physics would be pretty restricting in terms of degree choices.

What subjects did you enjoy at GCSE? What areas interest you in general/what areas are you good at?

Have you considered maths as a third/fourth option?

Perhaps choose 4/5 then drop one after a few weeks.
Reply 4
i enjoy physics at gcse level but apparently it gets way harder and way more maths orientated, the college i've applied for only allows you to take 3 subjects so either i look around and find somewhere else or make a decision i guess, but thank you.
Original post by sam4858
i enjoy physics at gcse level but apparently it gets way harder and way more maths orientated, the college i've applied for only allows you to take 3 subjects so either i look around and find somewhere else or make a decision i guess, but thank you.

Only allowing you to take 3 is a bit ridiculous, but if you speak to them and explain you're not sure what subjects to take I'm sure they'll let you take 4 on the condition you drop one after a few weeks.
Reply 6
Original post by Palmyra
Only allowing you to take 3 is a bit ridiculous, but if you speak to them and explain you're not sure what subjects to take I'm sure they'll let you take 4 on the condition you drop one after a few weeks.

isn't it? a lot of other places allow 4 on the condition you drop one after a year so dunno what's up with that, but I'll definitely ask them anyway, thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by loralai
You want to take bio and chem so i assume you may want to go into a science-y field?
I would strongly suggest something that will ease the stress - maybe something like psychology ( very easy to get higher marks) as oppose to physics.
Ultimately, it is the 3 grades at the end of your studies that matter, not what they came from - unless ofcourse you want to go on to study physics, in which case physics at A level may be required from you.
If not, the smart thing to do would be take the easy route to the highest grade to ensure you'll get into a good uni, so on and so forth.

yeah i was thinking something science related but my interests and stuff have changed a lot over the years, i really like science subjects but i'm also interested in humanities and i'm just gonna have to choose between them i guess. I've always had an interest in physics but i also love biology, feel like if i knew exactly what i wanted to do it'd be easier to choose, i think i just want a broad choice at the end of it and that just isn't gonna happen lmao

Quick Reply

Latest