Doing maths&further maths a level Watch

Kookerella
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am currently in year 11, planning to do sixth form.. obviously choosing or debating which subject to choose is one of the things we are supposed to think about..

I can do either 4 or 3 a levels (most will do 3 in my sixth form) which obviously have their positives and negatives blah blah blah

Academically, Im definitely over average but my best subject is almost certainly maths due to consistency of 8s and 9s throughout year 10/11

Due to not being too studious, the idea of doing 4 a levels sounds like hell to me, but if i definitely want to do maths and further maths, but only doing 3 arent I pretty destined for failure if I suddenly decide I hate maths?? Obviously i do have other options but maths is by far the most attractive option for me

do i do four and have a bad time or do three and take further? or do three and not take further?? im stuck

(sorry this is long, my english target is to be more concise lol)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Kookerella; 4 weeks ago
RDKGames
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kookerella)
I am currently in year 11, planning to do sixth form.. obviously choosing or debating which subject to choose is one of the things we are supposed to think about..

I can do either 4 or 3 a levels (most will do 3 in my sixth form) which obviously have their positives and negatives blah blah blah

Academically, Im definitely over average but my best subject is almost certainly maths due to consistency of 8s and 9s throughout year 10/11

Due to not being too studious, the idea of doing 4 a levels sounds like hell to me, but if i definitely want to do maths and further maths, but only doing 3 arent I pretty destined for failure if I suddenly decide I hate maths?? Obviously i do have other options but maths is by far the most attractive option for me

do i do four and have a bad time or do three and take further? or do three and not take further?? im stuck

If you're getting such high grades in Maths now, then you will be absolutely fine for Maths / FM A-Level.

And to be honest, taking Maths & FM at A-Level feels like you're just taking one A-Level. Revision for one of these is automatically revision for the other, they compliment each other to a point where it doesn't feel like extra load of work.

Also, if Maths is the most attractive option for you, then why not just take Maths & FM + (third option) ? That'd feel like taking only two A-Levels. If you're planning on studying anything Maths related at uni then Maths + FM is definitely your go to combination.
Last edited by RDKGames; 4 weeks ago
Hannah2921
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Studying FM will honestly make studying normal maths a breeze! I take maths, FM, biology and chemistry so all of my subjects compliment one another. It really doesn’t feel like too much extra workload becuase all of my subjects are so similar. Although I can appreciate taking 4 essay-heavy subjects will most likely be hugely difficult!
The only thing I’d say about it is you have to be aiming for a 9 at GCSE. In my class there is such a stark contrast between the ability of those who got a 9 and those who got an 8 (obvs this may not/is probably not true for every school but just a heads up from my experience)
My advice is to take it anyway and if you don’t like it, you can always drop it
Last edited by Hannah2921; 4 weeks ago
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kookerella)

1) people generally rise to the occasion. so although you won't be able to focus on the 3 required A levels with a 4th in the picture, the reality is you will work harder and stress earlier on in the year to make it work. especially if you're good at maths

2) have a look at Mechanics which is clearly the hardest aspect of maths.

3) see if your school will allow you to complete the full Maths A level in year 12, so you can then do Further maths in year 13
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Material Futures Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of Brighton
    Health and clinical practice + health professions + hospitality, tourism and events + journalism + sport and exercise Postgraduate
    Tue, 26 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (94)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (67)
10.58%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.53%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.53%
No (440)
69.51%

Watched Threads