The Student Room Group

Funeral costs for asylum seekers?

An asylum seeking family in my town recently had one of their family members pass away.

They want to give that family member a Christian burial, but they do not have the money to hold a funeral.

I’ve been trying to search up organisations that help with costs for funeral but it seems all help is only available to British residents and/or those with approved asylum.

Is there any way the family can receive funding for the funeral from any organisations or part cover the costs? Would asking the local church be of any help?
Asking the council is the best bet.
Original post by Anonymous
An asylum seeking family in my town recently had one of their family members pass away.

They want to give that family member a Christian burial, but they do not have the money to hold a funeral.

I’ve been trying to search up organisations that help with costs for funeral but it seems all help is only available to British residents and/or those with approved asylum.

Is there any way the family can receive funding for the funeral from any organisations or part cover the costs? Would asking the local church be of any help?

If he died in NHS care then the NHS will dispose of the body, usually by cremation unless otherwise specified.
Otherwise Decahedron made a good suggestion as the duty then falls to the local council. You could try social services and or onvironmental health. There may also be some local asylum seeking refugee charities. I expect the church would be able to provide limited financial assistance if any.

If the death occurs other than in a hospital, then the local council (environmental health department) has a duty to ensure that the deceased is buried or cremated respectfully, where no other arrangements have been, or are being, made.

Benefits or NASS support isnt available.
asking the church (assuning it is the right fath) may help as helping someone in need is a christan thing
another option is to try and rase money as a community for the family

Quick Reply

Latest