The Student Room Group

maths a level: how to remember

So im in year 12 and for maths i understand the work but then recently was doing some questions and accidentally flipped back to a chapter i did around 1 or 2 months ago and looked it and i was unsure on how to do it. Even though i understand it at the time and practise questions at the time, how would i get to remember it through long term memory?? Im thinking about going back and doing those questions but then my workload would be quite big so any ideas??
yes doing those questions will help but don't do all of them (i assume that you are using a text book) do a couple of easy ones then a couple of hard ones and you will find out that you remember what to do. the reason that you couldn't do the questions was probably because it was at the end of a revision session.and try to do a bit of revision every now and again and do questions that you have done in the past as the best way to get something in your memory is repetition.
break your workload down into small chunks so it doesn't seem so massive =
Original post by cbains02
So im in year 12 and for maths i understand the work but then recently was doing some questions and accidentally flipped back to a chapter i did around 1 or 2 months ago and looked it and i was unsure on how to do it. Even though i understand it at the time and practise questions at the time, how would i get to remember it through long term memory?? Im thinking about going back and doing those questions but then my workload would be quite big so any ideas??

Little and often. Practice / work sessions are best if you finish by reflecting on what you've just done.

What was the topic that you revisited and had forgotten?

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that you've done enough practice on a topic only when you fully understand it, and a week or more later, you can reproduce methods/processes/formulas. So, I tend to work for an hour or two on practising a topic, then again a couple of days later, then I test myself a week later, then again a couple of weeks after that.

There are some topics that I don't look at very often, maybe last time I found a question was a couple of years ago, yet I can still remember method/process/formula.

There are one or two topics that I don't like very much, which I review on a 2-3 month basis (or longer), and need to look up a rule, or a formula which I've forgotten.
To me, it's obvious that I've not done enough practice on those topics, but really I struggle to find the motivation ...
Reply 3
Original post by begbie68
Little and often. Practice / work sessions are best if you finish by reflecting on what you've just done.

What was the topic that you revisited and had forgotten?

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that you've done enough practice on a topic only when you fully understand it, and a week or more later, you can reproduce methods/processes/formulas. So, I tend to work for an hour or two on practising a topic, then again a couple of days later, then I test myself a week later, then again a couple of weeks after that.

There are some topics that I don't look at very often, maybe last time I found a question was a couple of years ago, yet I can still remember method/process/formula.

There are one or two topics that I don't like very much, which I review on a 2-3 month basis (or longer), and need to look up a rule, or a formula which I've forgotten.
To me, it's obvious that I've not done enough practice on those topics, but really I struggle to find the motivation ...

It was binomial expansion but i looked at an example and it slightly came back to me. I think i should do previous topics soon but i will get distracted very easily and just not to do it :/

Quick Reply

Latest