Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Archlyn Williams)
Can you work part time job as a medical student
Medicine is a very intense degree course. I don't think there's anything actually physically *stopping* you from taking on a part time job, but you need to put your studies first.

Hopefully a current or former medical student can share their experiences with you

Moved to Medicine
BenChen10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Medical school literally study, study and study. You may not have a social life if you get a part-time job. lol
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
definitely possible if you dont strain yourself and manage your time, leaving enough time to relax and be a student, but studies should always come first
Splishsplash
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I know of a fair number who are high performance athletes (but could equally apply to someone who is really good at something unrelated to their course) so I suppose if you're not one of them you could use this "spare" time to work. The differences, I guess, are that if workloads get too high, they can drop out of / rearrange some training sessions and also some of these sessions are before the working day. With employmentk, you may be restricted by fixed hours and contractual obligations.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes you can, but it will be more difficult during clinical years when your hours on placement will be like a full time M-F job.

You could still work on weekends though, particularly if you have a job with quite flexible hours.
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes this is possible. Some people do work incredibly long hours for the course - mainly those that already worked incredibly long hours for A-levels - but most have a decent amount of free time. I too know people who were high-level athletes requiring 20+ hours training per week.

Other ways to make money include working in the holidays - the run up to Christmas is particularly easy to find employment - or things like clinical trials. Vaccine trials in particular - generally run in Oxford or London - can be very lucrative, as well as huge moral value (think like giving blood, but like x1000).
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It does require a lot of committment. It depends maybe on which Uni you go to, but most days are 9am-5pm at medical school unless you ditch your lectures. Holding down a job outside of those hours requires being very organised, but is do-able.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (7)
11.48%
Yes - a food allergy (5)
8.2%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (3)
4.92%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (4)
6.56%
No (42)
68.85%

Watched Threads