MacBook Pro "stage light" design flaw Watch

Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The latest flaw in the design of the MacBook Pro has come to light (pun intended). In the interest of making ever thinner devices, Apple replaced the display cable with a flexible ribbon cable.

These ribbon cables are far more fragile than traditional wires and are subjected to stress every time you open and close the MacBook. The result is that after time, they will break. Apple also decided to integrate the display with the cables, meaning you need to replace the entire panel, not simply swap out the cables as the case used to be.

Other models such as the new MacBook Air are not showing this issue yet, but use a similar enough design that it won't be surprising if they also begin to fail in the future.

The original story was covered over on iFixit, with a video of Apple repair expert Louis Rossmann describing and showcasing the problem. If you own a MacBook Pro, it's definitely something to be aware of; if Apple do not decide to offer an extended warranty to address this design flaw it'll be an expensive fix for anyone affected.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's pretty disappointing to see such a lack of quality in the latest MBPs. I'm posting this right now from the MBP I bought back in 2011, which still works absolutely perfectly, running as smoothly as the day I bought it. I wonder how long the equivalent 2018 model would last for, by the sounds of it I'd have until 2022 at best.

Used to be you'd pay a premium price and actually get a premium product, Apple were selling actually decent laptops at a time when every single PC manufacturer were selling plastic-cased gobshite that inevitably fell apart after a year or so. Now apparently the tables have turned, it's the PC manufacturers producing fancy ultrabooks that seem the safer investment these days.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Dez)
It's pretty disappointing to see such a lack of quality in the latest MBPs. I'm posting this right now from the MBP I bought back in 2011, which still works absolutely perfectly, running as smoothly as the day I bought it. I wonder how long the equivalent 2018 model would last for, by the sounds of it I'd have until 2022 at best.

Used to be you'd pay a premium price and actually get a premium product, Apple were selling actually decent laptops at a time when every single PC manufacturer were selling plastic-cased gobshite that inevitably fell apart after a year or so. Now apparently the tables have turned, it's the PC manufacturers producing fancy ultrabooks that seem the safer investment these days.
It is very unfortunate. Between Apple's soaring prices, underpowered hardware and flaws like this, it's become exceptionally difficult to recommend modern MacBooks. Their product lineup has left them in an odd situation with no easy way out.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Another entry onto the list of reasons why the MBP is possibly the prettiest and yet worst designed notebook in recent years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.85%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.96%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.21%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (78)
9.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (246)
30.67%

Watched Threads