The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I have an unconditional for aberdeen (wohoo) although i've not heard back from anywhere else yet so haven't fully decided if i'm gonna take it. Are you going to firm your offer?
Reply 2
I've got an unconditional offer too. I have one interview left, but my hearts set on Aberdeen. Are you a graduate or undergraduate?
Original post by TrueArcher
I've got an unconditional offer too. I have one interview left, but my hearts set on Aberdeen. Are you a graduate or undergraduate?

Ah well congrats for getting your first choice! Yeah same I still have Glasgow’s left, and they are probably my top choice. I’m a graduate from Scotland, how about you?
Hey guys! I’ve got a conditional offer for Aberdeen - I’m still waiting to hear back from 3 other places but Aberdeen has always been my first choice so I’ll be firming here! :smile: Looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you in September!
Original post by AndHopefully
Hey guys! I’ve got a conditional offer for Aberdeen - I’m still waiting to hear back from 3 other places but Aberdeen has always been my first choice so I’ll be firming here! :smile: Looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you in September!

Hey congrats!!! Just wondering if you could tell me why Aberdeen is your first choice? I keep dithering between there and Glasgow (haven’t even had their interview so highly likely I might not get them anyway) but it would be great to know why you want to go there so much as it might help me decide - sorry feel like I’m interviewing you hahaha
Hey everyone - congrats on your offers

I'm a current first year at University of Aberdeen - feel free to ask questions :smile:
Original post by MedicPaeds05

I'm a current first year at University of Aberdeen - feel free to ask questions :smile:

Hey! Were you a graduate or undergraduate when you started? do you mind saying what your favourite/least favourite things are about the course? Thanks so much!
Reply 8

Hey - does Aberdeen provide first year medics with a reading list at the start of the course for specific anatomy, biochem textbooks etc. or is there popular ones out there that everyone uses which students buy?
Original post by Paddles111
Hey! Were you a graduate or undergraduate when you started? do you mind saying what your favourite/least favourite things are about the course? Thanks so much!

Hi! I'm a grad, my year has quite a lot of grads but I'm friends with both school leavers and grads so don't worry about the mix! So favourite/least hmmm, in all honesty I didn't really enjoy first term that much as there's little clinical, the two topics in first term are quite dry and I couldn't see the links between them but now we've started systems and doing clinical 2-3 times a week I'm really enjoying it.

So as a whole I'd say because Medicine is all taught on the ARI site you do feel quite distant from others studying at the uni unless you're in a flat with non medics, join societies etc but it can be slightly tricky living with non medic flatmates when I think we're the only course in for example all week mon-fri with most of the uni having wednesday completley off, but we do get wednesday afternoons off. Anatomy is taught well but prosection is a difficult method to learn by.

The teaching staff are very good and known their stuff really well, there's lots of medics and non medic societies to get involved in. I thought the workload would be similar to ug studies (defo not!) much more intense personally but I'm really enjoying Medicine.
Original post by Lee96265
Hey - does Aberdeen provide first year medics with a reading list at the start of the course for specific anatomy, biochem textbooks etc. or is there popular ones out there that everyone uses which students buy?

Hey

Yeah they do but closer to the time so I wouldn't worry right now! I wouldn't recommend buying all the books (they take up space and money!) and some books I've maybe used once then never again, and most of the books are also in the library.

I'd say personally certainly for first term the only books that are good to have own copies will be for anatomy and possibly the physiology one, biochem is good to have but overcomplicates the subject a bit. Books like Macleod for clinical exam are prob more useful for when you start systems after Christmas.

Every uni can be different in terms of recommended books but Aberdeen should send suggested books list closer to incoming first years term starting!
Reply 11
When did you guys have your interview and how long did you wait for the offer?
Hi! I'm a grad, my year has quite a lot of grads but I'm friends with both school leavers and grads so don't worry about the mix! So favourite/least hmmm, in all honesty I didn't really enjoy first term that much as there's little clinical, the two topics in first term are quite dry and I couldn't see the links between them but now we've started systems and doing clinical 2-3 times a week I'm really enjoying it.

So as a whole I'd say because Medicine is all taught on the ARI site you do feel quite distant from others studying at the uni unless you're in a flat with non medics, join societies etc but it can be slightly tricky living with non medic flatmates when I think we're the only course in for example all week mon-fri with most of the uni having wednesday completley off, but we do get wednesday afternoons off. Anatomy is taught well but prosection is a difficult method to learn by.

The teaching staff are very good and known their stuff really well, there's lots of medics and non medic societies to get involved in. I thought the workload would be similar to ug studies (defo not!) much more intense personally but I'm really enjoying Medicine.

Thanks so much for your reply!! Really helps :smile: do you mind me asking how you found your accommodation? Did you just did random flat share with other students or have your own plans? Thanks!
Original post by ljtaba

Interviewed the 18th of dec and got an offer on jan 18th :smile:
Original post by Paddles111
Thanks so much for your reply!! Really helps :smile: do you mind me asking how you found your accommodation? Did you just did random flat share with other students or have your own plans? Thanks!

My accomodation was fine! I stay at Hillhead with all non medics - in all honestly I would recommend living with non medics in 1st year as it gives you a break from medicine, and lets you also get to know about other courses etc. There's pros and cons to living with non medics eg exams at different times (we tend to be earlier but also finished earlier) than everyone else, and the big student night for going out here tends to be Tuesday night as most courses have Wednesdays completley off but we don't! so it depends on what you like doing, your personality eg party hard or not etc :smile:
Anybody else still waiting to hear from Aberdeen?
Reply 16
Original post by Claragale
Anybody else still waiting to hear from Aberdeen?

We are
Reply 17
Hey guys. I’m a Scottish school leaver and got an offer a couple of weeks ago. I have since firmed Aberdeen as it’s my top choice but I’m just wondering if anyone knows whether there’s a post offer open day for medicine applicants? Cheers!
Original post by ljtaba

Hey, I had my interview on 21st January and my unconditional offer came through 14th February : )
Reply 19
Original post by Mhussain01
Hey, I had my interview on 21st January and my unconditional offer came through 14th February : )

That's good congrats! Got my offer too :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending