Does language affect peoples IQ and thinking speed? Watch

TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Does a persons language affect how smart they are and would people become smarter by having a better general language.
Maths is an example of a different language that makes people smarter when dealing with that specific topic.

If deaf people haven't got the extra information of how words are pronounced can they read quicker than normal people?

What do people think about nonverbal methods like the mental abacus?

When 11-year-old Priyanshi Somani multiplies strings of 10-digit numbers or finds the square root of a six-digit number, she doesn’t use a calculator or even pencil and paper. Instead, like other specially trained youngsters, the young Mental Calculation World Cup champion manipulates an imaginary abacus.

Now studies on a group of children trained to use a “mental abacus” suggest the technique frees mathematics from its usual dependence on language.
https://www.newscientist.com/article...ay-with-words/
Last edited by TheStupidMoon; 10 months ago
Angury
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by TheStupidMoon)
Does a persons language affect how smart they are and would people become smarter by having a better general language.
Maths is an example of a different language that makes people smarter when dealing with that specific topic.

If deaf people haven't got the extra information of how words are pronounced can they read quicker than normal people?

What do people think about nonverbal methods like the mental abacus?

https://www.newscientist.com/article...ay-with-words/
This all depends on what you define as smart and what the purpose of the language is.

As you say, having a good grasp of the mathematical language makes you much more efficient in that area. If you see language merely as a tool for communication and nothing else but see being smart as lateral thinking or having a new perspective on ideas, then you could argue the other way.

I would argue that language is more than just vocabulary. Learning a language is not just learning a set of names and knowing what they fit with in the real world but having an understanding of how these words are used and when they can and cannot be used i.e. the context. Viewed from that perspective, I think having a better grasp of language is to have a better understanding of ones culture and society. Whether that makes you 'smarter' is, like I said, all dependent on what you classify as smart.

To give a personal example, a 'smart' doctor to me (in my workplace) is not one who knows all of the medical terminology by rote or understands that the function of an artery is to pump blood back to the heart. A 'smart' doctor is one who is able to collate all the signs and symptoms of a patient in front of them into the diagnosis of a 'heart attack' and then use their knowledge (generally based around medical terminology but also something more) to start treating that patient. So to me, being a 'smart' doctor is more than having a good grasp of medical terminology and understanding of the physiological process of the body; it is to apply these concepts to the real world, and that requires experience..

..not sure if any of that made sense.
Last edited by Angury; 9 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (70)
32.86%
No I don't (101)
47.42%
I work during the holidays (42)
19.72%

Watched Threads