I'm short, but my brothers are all tall, why aren't I?

Watch
MrAnonymous129
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
OK so, I come from quite a big family. My mother is 5 ft 8, my father is 6 ft 2, and my four brothers are between 6ft - 6ft 6, and what am I? Oh yeah that's right I'm 5 ft 3. I've tried walking around in heels, but it makes my feet hurt and I try to keep my head up, so I look taller, but then my neck starts to hurt. Why am I so unlucky in height?
Last edited by MrAnonymous129; 1 year ago
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dunno, dominant v recessive genes? I vaguely remember that 3:1 pretty much is the ratio such things are expressed, so you'll have got the crappy recessive genes :P (I may not understand genes )
yotsr123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You've got the recessive gene!
H - means you will be tall. Both your parents are tall, therefore this is the dominant gene.
h - means you will be short. If you've got two of these that means you've got two recessive genes.
It's just random. Here's how it played out:
Brother 1 - Hh
Brother 2 - HH
Brother 3 - HH
Brother 4 - Hh
You - hh <--- resecssive gene

I think that's right!!
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Different fathers....

Joking.
MrAnonymous129
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Different fathers....

Joking.
Maybe, my mother was quite loose in her younger years, I have often had suspicions about whether my father is actually my father.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Dunno, dominant v recessive genes? I vaguely remember that 3:1 pretty much is the ratio such things are expressed, so you'll have got the crappy recessive genes :P (I may not understand genes )
(Original post by yotsr123)
You've got the recessive gene!
H - means you will be tall. Both your parents are tall, therefore this is the dominant gene.
h - means you will be short. If you've got two of these that means you've got two recessive genes.
It's just random. Here's how it played out:
Brother 1 - Hh
Brother 2 - HH
Brother 3 - HH
Brother 4 - Hh
You - hh <--- resecssive gene

I think that's right!!
It’s right for some stuff but not for height.

Height is controlled by Polygenic Inheritance and external factors. There are many genes for height so given both parents are tall it is unusual but not impossible that they still got the bad deal for some of the height genes.
Also if the diet hasn’t contained enough nutrition and protein the body will not have been able to grow as well, so will have remained short.
Lemonadez
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Genetic variation. Your environment (what food you eat, etc) contributes to it too.
K.I.M
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ok im the youngest in my family my mum is short and my dad is tall, my older sister who is 18 is the same height as my mum however i got my dads height
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.26%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (120)
37.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.66%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.42%

Watched Threads