Abby_x
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys,
So I’m currently studying for a Bsc in Health Sciences with the open university. We study a range of topics such as...
- Science and Health (Infectious disease, Nutrition and malnutrition, Treating pain, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Acute trauma and recovery, Alcohol and human health, Screening for breast cancer, and Sight)

- Investigating Psychology

- Human Biology

- Cell Biology

- Biology and Health

- Infectious disease and public health

- Molecular and cell biology

- Signals and perception: the science of the senses

- Researching Biology

Although I’ve only just started my course, I know I want to work in health care and help people. I always wanted to become a doctor but unfortunately I only got a B in English GCSE, and Cs in Maths and sciences. I wasn’t very motivated then! However I got 3As at A-levels in health care, psychology and media. I’ve been looking at a range of jobs and I’ve been looking at becoming a physician associate. A pretty new job to be introduced in the NHS, it requires a 1st or 2:1 in biomedical science or a life/health related degree and then a MSc in Physician associate sciences. They do similar things to doctors, such as clinical rotations, diagnosing and treating illnesses and checkups. However upon further inspection, a lot of unis say that they need an A*-B in English and maths GCSE, so in a little worried. The career sounds absolutely amazing. I’m also looking at working at a hospital and becoming a healthcare assistant this year to help get more experience.

I was wondering, despite my GCSE grades (1A 1B and 7Cs) I could eventually, with experience and a first in my degree, go on to train to become a physician associate?

Thanks guys! And if this doesn’t seem appropriate, are there any others careers any of you recommend within the healthcare sector? ~ Abby.
Buffie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Abby_x)
Hey guys,
So I’m currently studying for a Bsc in Health Sciences with the open university. We study a range of topics such as...
- Science and Health (Infectious disease, Nutrition and malnutrition, Treating pain, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Acute trauma and recovery, Alcohol and human health, Screening for breast cancer, and Sight)

- Investigating Psychology

- Human Biology

- Cell Biology

- Biology and Health

- Infectious disease and public health

- Molecular and cell biology

- Signals and perception: the science of the senses

- Researching Biology

Although I’ve only just started my course, I know I want to work in health care and help people. I always wanted to become a doctor but unfortunately I only got a B in English GCSE, and Cs in Maths and sciences. I wasn’t very motivated then! However I got 3As at A-levels in health care, psychology and media. I’ve been looking at a range of jobs and I’ve been looking at becoming a physician associate. A pretty new job to be introduced in the NHS, it requires a 1st or 2:1 in biomedical science or a life/health related degree and then a MSc in Physician associate sciences. They do similar things to doctors, such as clinical rotations, diagnosing and treating illnesses and checkups. However upon further inspection, a lot of unis say that they need an A*-B in English and maths GCSE, so in a little worried. The career sounds absolutely amazing. I’m also looking at working at a hospital and becoming a healthcare assistant this year to help get more experience.

I was wondering, despite my GCSE grades (1A 1B and 7Cs) I could eventually, with experience and a first in my degree, go on to train to become a physician associate?

Thanks guys! And if this doesn’t seem appropriate, are there any others careers any of you recommend within the healthcare sector? ~ Abby.
Hi,

I'm starting the Physician Associate MSc in just a few days. Like you, I love the role and spent time shadowing PAs actually after I'd had my interview. Anyway, to shed light on my qualifications- A* A* in Double Award Science GCSE, B in maths and A, B in English literature and English Language. Then 3 A's at A level in English Language, Law and Sociology. I won some prizes for my A level success and gained a scholarship for uni. Then I had a First in my degree in Sociology and Social Policy (health policy, health inequalities were part of it). Onto a PGCE where I then went on to teach for 4 years and went to a Welsh class part time for some of it. Then I worked in a college for another 7 years. About half way through that time period, I did a part time counselling course. During my last year working at the college, I volunteered one day a week in a mental health drop in centre and also arranged shadowing experience in the NHS. I put everything into my application and interview and bagged myself a place.
Depending on what you've done since your GCSEs, my example shows they were more concerned (possibly) with the qualifications as a whole and life experience. I've just turned 36 FYI.

Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (14)
14.14%
I need help researching courses (8)
8.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.06%
I need help with my personal statement (40)
40.4%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (25)
25.25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.02%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.04%

Watched Threads