Work experience for Medicine Watch

zuza020
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
As obviously everyone is aware, getting medicine work experience (whilst in sixth form) at the GP or local hospital is as likely as winning the lottery unless your uncle or parent is a doctor. So I was wondering if maybe I could volunteer and gain some necessary experience at the vets, or is the main purpose of medical work experience to interact with human patients?
If so wouldn't the vets still be better than nothing?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by zuza020)
As obviously everyone is aware, getting medicine work experience (whilst in sixth form) at the GP or local hospital is as likely as winning the lottery unless your uncle or parent is a doctor. So I was wondering if maybe I could volunteer and gain some necessary experience at the vets, or is the main purpose of medical work experience to interact with human patients?
If so wouldn't the vets still be better than nothing?
There are similariites between medicine and veterinary surgery, but the humans vs animals distinction is (obviously) a very great one. Dentistry would be a more relevant alternative, but in all honesty you'd probably be better off doing lots of healthcare/clinical volunteering and continuing to try and arrange some medical work experience. How far have you searched? Don't restrict yourself to just the local hospital...
Cakecupcake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm in year 12 myself. In terms of volunteering, it is 100% essential for a medicine application, more so than work experience is. I don't know if doing it at a vets will give you transferable skills for medicine though, as the best form of volunteering is usually at a care home/ hospital, or any such place that involves a caring role, with interaction with those who are out of your age group/ are more dependent. In terms of work experience though, start ringing up everywhere you possibly can ASAP. I too know absolutely no one at all in medicine, but through blood, swear and tears (and phones calls obvs) have been fortunate enough to find some. Hopefully the same happens for you!
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have you got any ongoing voluntary work as that is important to?
Volunteering in an environment which involves care for vulnerable people tends to be a good place for work experience
Also, see if your NHS trust has a way of applying for work experience for school aged people-mine did which was how I got work experience. If you can't get any then volunteering in hospitals may also be a way of gaining experience
ahorey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I dunno, I think it’s important to get a variety of experience.
I did a week in GP, worked as part time receptionist in a vets and Physio clinic 3 months respectively (handy weekend/summer/weekend work) and talked to a couple of doctors.
I was able to discuss what I learnt about each area and patient confidentiality/comm skills etc. which are all very relevant. Skills are transferable imo. Even if the treatments and pathologies are different that isn’t why you are doing work experience, you’re not expected to have medical knowledge.

I’d ask your local GP could you do a couple of sessions sitting in with them, or approach your local ED and ask to spend a few days observing with them. I find ED the most approachable for work experience tbh!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.75%
No (213)
94.25%

Watched Threads