Sixth form is making me feel upset. Watch

lol hi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm in year 12 and I study biology, chemistry and psychology. I feel like sixth form is making me feel extremely down. I hate going to school, I feel like the teachers can barely teach properly and I feel like I don't mix in with the crowd.

At my school we have this 'flip learning' technique. We make notes before coming to lesson on a certain chapter(s). Some of my teachers don't even bother teaching properly in lesson, they just hand out a few exam questions and flip through slides that are easily found for free online. I only have a few teachers that actually teach. That's one of the reasons I hate going to school, I feel like it's a waste of time. Hence why I'm sitting at home right now and complaining. Why should I bother going to school if I can do whatever I do there at home? As my motivation declines, my attendance declines.

Another reason why I don't like my school is because of the time table. We have these 'study support' sessions, where students sit in a hall all cramped on circular tables while the teacher screams be quiet for the whole hour, which is ironic because they're making the most noise. I have study support for three hours sometimes, I get sick of it. Furthermore, I hate how my lessons are so spread apart. For example, today I have psychology for first period, three hours of study support and then biology. The day is so stretched out and I can't go home and study in the comfort and peace of my own home.

Changing sixth form doesn't seem like an option for me as it seems like too much of a hassle as I'd have to change exam boards and meet new teachers and people all over again. Also, I'd like to go to university and possibly study Dentistry. Therefore, I can't just drop out of A-levels. I really do enjoy my subjects but the environment at school makes me demotivated. I did alright in my GCSE's (1A*, 6A, 2B ,2C), not the best due to personal reasons but I am academic.

I'm just really confused and not sure what to do, I'd really like to hear someones advice. I'm spiralling down into an unhappy mentality and I'd really like to get out of it before it becomes even worse. I've been in this school for 5 years, so I don't know what else I'd do. Besides, most of the sixth forms in my area are not that great. Apparently, the sixth form I'm at right now is in the top 10%, but I don't see how or why, we may have a fancy building, but the teaching is sh*t. Yeah, I said it.

Anyways, thank you if you got this far. I just really needed to vent and let it all out. I hope someone can give some advice. <3
g.zel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hi
I'm in year 13 and study biology, chemistry and computer science.
I have literally the same problems with my teachers (except biology) and hate going to school too.
what i found helps is revision guides from CPG and a whole lot of youtube videos. I understand your situation is very difficult since you want to study dentistry.
Keep going and don't give up!
lol hi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by g.zel)
hi
I'm in year 13 and study biology, chemistry and computer science.
I have literally the same problems with my teachers (except biology) and hate going to school too.
what i found helps is revision guides from CPG and a whole lot of youtube videos. I understand your situation is very difficult since you want to study dentistry.
Keep going and don't give up!
Hey, thanks for the reply. And yeah, I guess all I can really do is learn most of the content by myself. I do watch youtube videos and use apps etc.
I just really need to gain motivation.
5thchild
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lol hi)
I'm in year 12 and I study biology, chemistry and psychology. I feel like sixth form is making me feel extremely down. I hate going to school, I feel like the teachers can barely teach properly and I feel like I don't mix in with the crowd.

At my school we have this 'flip learning' technique. We make notes before coming to lesson on a certain chapter(s). Some of my teachers don't even bother teaching properly in lesson, they just hand out a few exam questions and flip through slides that are easily found for free online. I only have a few teachers that actually teach. That's one of the reasons I hate going to school, I feel like it's a waste of time. Hence why I'm sitting at home right now and complaining. Why should I bother going to school if I can do whatever I do there at home? As my motivation declines, my attendance declines.

Another reason why I don't like my school is because of the time table. We have these 'study support' sessions, where students sit in a hall all cramped on circular tables while the teacher screams be quiet for the whole hour, which is ironic because they're making the most noise. I have study support for three hours sometimes, I get sick of it. Furthermore, I hate how my lessons are so spread apart. For example, today I have psychology for first period, three hours of study support and then biology. The day is so stretched out and I can't go home and study in the comfort and peace of my own home.

Changing sixth form doesn't seem like an option for me as it seems like too much of a hassle as I'd have to change exam boards and meet new teachers and people all over again. Also, I'd like to go to university and possibly study Dentistry. Therefore, I can't just drop out of A-levels. I really do enjoy my subjects but the environment at school makes me demotivated. I did alright in my GCSE's (1A*, 6A, 2B ,2C), not the best due to personal reasons but I am academic.

I'm just really confused and not sure what to do, I'd really like to hear someones advice. I'm spiralling down into an unhappy mentality and I'd really like to get out of it before it becomes even worse. I've been in this school for 5 years, so I don't know what else I'd do. Besides, most of the sixth forms in my area are not that great. Apparently, the sixth form I'm at right now is in the top 10%, but I don't see how or why, we may have a fancy building, but the teaching is sh*t. Yeah, I said it.

Anyways, thank you if you got this far. I just really needed to vent and let it all out. I hope someone can give some advice. <3
My daughter feels the same as you with her biology and chemistry, luckily she is only 1 of 2 students doing A level Spanish and loves it. She has been really distressed and distraught over tests as she feels she knows nothing. One chem teacher is good but the other one just basically leaves to their own devises. And she just isn’t grasping the way they are teaching biology. However just 2 sessions with a fab chem tutor has paid dividends and we are now looking for a biology tutor. Good luck in finding what is going to work best for you
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (7)
11.29%
Yes - a food allergy (5)
8.06%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (3)
4.84%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (4)
6.45%
No (43)
69.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed