Relating uni course to pgce Watch

kae1234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,
I am currently studying at the open university doing an open degree with childhood modules. It is childhood and youth and early childhood based. One of the modules is the health and wellbeing of children. I am hoping to start a primary pgce next year however I know that if you’re lucky enough to get an interview you need to explain how your degree relates to the national curriculum. I’m having trouble thinking about how mine does! I know people have gone onto a pgce doing early childhood but it doesn’t relate to a specific subject like English or maths does. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how they think it relates or has been in the same situation?
Thanks
Dalightfool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well, 'cross-curricular learning opportunities' is the buzz phrase at the moment, with literacy and numeracy being shoe-horned into every subject. At least, that's the feeling at secondary now.

I suggest you look at your modules and note down whenever there was something literacy and numeracy based. Then, go through the other subjects in the curriculum and do the same.
ATinyRevolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kae1234)
Hi,
I am currently studying at the open university doing an open degree with childhood modules. It is childhood and youth and early childhood based. One of the modules is the health and wellbeing of children. I am hoping to start a primary pgce next year however I know that if you’re lucky enough to get an interview you need to explain how your degree relates to the national curriculum. I’m having trouble thinking about how mine does! I know people have gone onto a pgce doing early childhood but it doesn’t relate to a specific subject like English or maths does. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how they think it relates or has been in the same situation?
Thanks
I wouldn't worry too much about that - I got accepted onto Primary PGCE courses with a degree in Politics, and I know others who've done so with Psychology and Law. In the absence of degree content relevant to the National Curriculum, I instead focused on the skills my degree provided (communication and making complex topics simple via essays, time management etc.). I did that in my personal statement, and I don't think any of my interviews mentioned it.
Muserock
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have been accepted onto a primary PGCE with a degree in Business and Management. I wasn't asked how it related to the curriculum. There were quite a few at interview who had degrees / were completing degrees in law, psychology etc. I wouldn't worry about it as your modules do relate to children.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (97)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (71)
10.87%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.45%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (18)
2.76%
No (451)
69.07%

Watched Threads