bean101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Does anyone know what grade you have to be to be accepted into the symphony orchestra (assuming the audition goes well)?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bean101)
Does anyone know what grade you have to be to be accepted into the symphony orchestra (assuming the audition goes well)?
I suggest you contact the Symphony Manager directly

[email protected]

Moved to University of Edinburgh
username1399980
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First it depends a bit on what instrument you play. It is a little easier for string players (who only have to audition for the Symphony orchestra and not the Sinfonia ) This is of course because of numbers- they need a lot more strings.

I don't think they have a particular grade they are looking for but almost all those who are successful, particularly for wind/brass will be at playing at grade 8 if not higher.(Although of course you don't need to have done the exam) If you play a popular instrument clarinet/flute/trumpet it is very hard to get in. I know people who are studying music at the university who haven't made it to the symphoney orchestra and they are very good. If you play something like the Bassoon it will be easier becasue they will have less people to choose from!

So just do the best audition you can and hope for the best. If you are a string player you will still have the option of the Sinfonia
bean101
Rep:
?
(Original post by watchingyouwatch)
First it depends a bit on what instrument you play. It is a little easier for string players (who only have to audition for the Symphony orchestra and not the Sinfonia ) This is of course because of numbers- they need a lot more strings.

I don't think they have a particular grade they are looking for but almost all those who are successful, particularly for wind/brass will be at playing at grade 8 if not higher.(Although of course you don't need to have done the exam) If you play a popular instrument clarinet/flute/trumpet it is very hard to get in. I know people who are studying music at the university who haven't made it to the symphoney orchestra and they are very good. If you play something like the Bassoon it will be easier becasue they will have less people to choose from!

So just do the best audition you can and hope for the best. If you are a string player you will still have the option of the Sinfonia
Thank you!!!
username1399980
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you!!!
You are welcome

I forgot to say there are a alarge number of musical groups at Edinburgh besides the Symphoney orchestra- so again depending on what you play- you should be able to find a group to play with

Have a look here for examples

https://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/activities.../findasociety/

Some are auditioning or for specific students like medics but you will definelty find somewhere to play!!
bean101
Rep:
?
(Original post by watchingyouwatch)
You are welcome

I forgot to say there are a alarge number of musical groups at Edinburgh besides the Symphoney orchestra- so again depending on what you play- you should be able to find a group to play with

Have a look here for examples

https://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/activities.../findasociety/

Some are auditioning or for specific students like medics but you will definelty find somewhere to play!!
thank you so much for all the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads