The Student Room Group

I sent the wrong assignment and said it was mine

I was given an assignment 2 weeks late. Which gave me 3 days to do it compared to everyone else. I was under a lot of pressure. So, I asked my friend for his assignment but I knew I couldn't copy so I only used his ideas and wrote it my own words. I submitted it but I submitted my friend's assignment by accident. Now both of us are being held for plagiarism. Had the teacher given me at least 2 more days to do it I would of easily finished and not of this would of happened. Anything I can do to help my case?
Original post by JT128
I was given an assignment 2 weeks late. Which gave me 3 days to do it compared to everyone else. I was under a lot of pressure. So, I asked my friend for his assignment but I knew I couldn't copy so I only used his ideas and wrote it my own words. I submitted it but I submitted my friend's assignment by accident. Now both of us are being held for plagiarism. Had the teacher given me at least 2 more days to do it I would of easily finished and not of this would of happened. Anything I can do to help my case?

I think you are screwed basically, accept whatever punishment, if you are at University, some can expell you depending how strict they are on it.
Reply 2
Nope.

It's not the lecturer's fault but yours for not checking your submission. I'm afraid there's not a lot you can do in this position. Your friend sending you their assignment wasn't a wise move either.
Hope you own up for your friends sake.
Original post by random_matt
Hope you own up for your friends sake.

Agreed, don't let your friend suffer fro your mistake
well don't blame this on the lecturer...

If you miss something it's your responsibility to find out what it was and catch up OR request an extension

tell the truth and take full responsibility, your friend could also get kicked out here
Original post by JT128

Why are you blaming the lecturer?

Heck, even if you had special circumstances e.g. health reasons, that does not give you the right to ask for somebody's work. Yes, your friend gave it to you out of good will but this is still against pretty much every university's policy on plagiarism and collusion.

If you had genuine problems, you go through the proper channels e.g. Applying for special consideration/circumstances.

As someone who had their work stolen by a teacher who then shared it to failing classmates, this infuriates me to no end.

It is absolutely repulsive that you're trying to weasel your way out of this by asking for things to do to "help your case". You should admit fully to the Board of Examiners and the appropriate staff within the misconduct office and accept any punishment given as a result of your absolutely disgusting and lazy actions (lazy because you didn't even if your so-called friend the courtesy of DOUBLE CHECKING whether or not you attached the correct document).

If you try and plead your way out of this, expect it to escalate and you'll probably suffer even greater consequences.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
For those wanting to know how it ended, we were let off and the lecturer was found at fault for not giving the same amount of time for the assessment as was given to others. With regards to the plagiarism it was an assessment that required group work but separate submissions. What me and my friend did was technically still wrong, we were let off due to the lack of information stated in the assessment brief and by the lecturer. They let me have more time (which meant I got the same as others) and that meant I could look over my assessment again before sending it.

Latest

Trending

Trending