The Student Room Group

Drop out of uni?

I'm in first year studying English at Sussex and I haven't been enjoying it at all. I don't know whether I should try to carry on this year or try to change course &/or uni. The thing is I don't know whether the course is going to get any better in year 2.

I don't know whether to change it to Human Geography and International relations (although I haven't done Geography for A Level), economics (again not studied at A Level), or perhaps Psychology (which I have studied)? I don't have A Level maths, would this be a problem with economics? I don't really enjoy maths but I find stats more interesting.

I don't know whether to go with a course that will interest me or whether to go with one that might be something I want to do in the future. I know I don't want to be a clinical psychologist for instance, or a map maker!! I thought I wanted to do something involving writing, but the course is so dry that I'm scared it will ruin any passion for it I had before.

Another option is that I could withdraw and re-apply somewhere else but I'm so unsure where I could go and what I could do.

Please help!!
I’d say don’t change yet but instead visit some lectures of the courses you’re interested in to give you a better picture of the course.

And then I’d just change course if I were you :smile:
I’m always for choosing what interests you the most and you have a passion for, rather than thinking about career opportunities. If you choose something for the career, you will probably do a lot worse at it than if you were to really enjoy it.

Also, if you’re into writing, you can go into journalism with every subject you listed :smile: you can go into journalism as a geography major, a psychology major, or an economics major. You don’t necessarily need English :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending