The Student Room Group

Becoming RAF Fit (And interview tips)

Hello everybody,

I've sat my AST already (Applying for RAF Police, and passed, thank who-ever controls my life) and am looking to get RAF fit.

I've been following the RAF Fitness plan as best as I can, but struggle with press-ups and cardio still. Press-ups on my toes make me feel like I have a lot of pressure on my lower back, and I can't quite seem to get low enough, and... well, I'm just not a born runner. I've improved a lot, but I really want to unlock my potential.

For all my other requirements I'm fine, taking my driving test next week so hopefully I pass that, have had plenty of interview practise. Although, I do have a question.

What do I say as to why I want to join the RAF Police rather than civillian police forces?

I can never quite seem to find a suitable way to express what I want to say, and it is the one question I stumble over now.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Alice

(P.S, 6 weeks into the 12 week fitness program)
Reply 1
Press ups are bloody awful no matter how you do them, perseverance will see you get better. I found pushing my feet as far back as possible (imagine trying to stretch the bottom of your foot) made the angles slightly better.

With running, mix it up. Run outside, run long distances, run short distances, run fast, run slow, use intervals, find new routes.

Can't help you answer your question, but think about what your motivations to join the RAF are, what it can offer you that civil police can't. You know what's appealed about the RAF, it's up to you to try to articulate it. But even then, doesn't really matter if you can't; I was asked "Why the RAF?" in my interviews and my honest response every time was "I actually don't know, it's just what feels right" and I got in.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
Press ups are bloody awful no matter how you do them, perseverance will see you get better. I found pushing my feet as far back as possible (imagine trying to stretch the bottom of your foot) made the angles slightly better.

With running, mix it up. Run outside, run long distances, run short distances, run fast, run slow, use intervals, find new routes.

Can't help you answer your question, but think about what your motivations to join the RAF are, what it can offer you that civil police can't. You know what's appealed about the RAF, it's up to you to try to articulate it. But even then, doesn't really matter if you can't; I was asked "Why the RAF?" in my interviews and my honest response every time was "I actually don't know, it's just what feels right" and I got in.

Thanks for your advice, I'll see if that position helps my back anymore. I don't understand it cause I'm a 17 (and 11 month) year old who is relitively fit and healthy. No back problems any other time than press-ups.

Running outside has been harder due to the darkness outside by the time I get home from college, but now it is becoming lighter, I can start looking at it again.

Thanks for all your help.
Original post by AliceCBlue
Hello everybody,

I've sat my AST already (Applying for RAF Police, and passed, thank who-ever controls my life) and am looking to get RAF fit.

I've been following the RAF Fitness plan as best as I can, but struggle with press-ups and cardio still. Press-ups on my toes make me feel like I have a lot of pressure on my lower back, and I can't quite seem to get low enough, and... well, I'm just not a born runner. I've improved a lot, but I really want to unlock my potential.

For all my other requirements I'm fine, taking my driving test next week so hopefully I pass that, have had plenty of interview practise. Although, I do have a question.

What do I say as to why I want to join the RAF Police rather than civillian police forces?

I can never quite seem to find a suitable way to express what I want to say, and it is the one question I stumble over now.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Alice

(P.S, 6 weeks into the 12 week fitness program)

Hi

I'm guessing you're using the 12 week plan from the RAF Recruitment website? It is designed to build you up from a reasonable level of fitness to be able to pass the PJFT, but obviosly everyone is the different and doesn't start from the same level, so your own progress will be individual. Just keep going through and you'll see improvements.

As for your question, why 'do' you want to join the RAF Police? What is your answer in your head? There must be reasons why the RAF poloice appeals to you more than civilian? That's your answer. Be honest.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 4
Hi there - Im in a very similar position. I put together my own exercise routine that has seen me go from unfit to just over the RAF minimum standards needed. You could try this:
Saturday: 5k run (work towards increasing your times)
Sunday: Sprint training (work towards doing 12 100m sprints at 100% with a walk back recovery)
Monday: Skipping training (google the army skipping training session, it lasts just over an hour)
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: full RAF practice fitness test
Thursday: Any 1 hour long interval training session you can find
Friday: rest

I'm not sure how long you have until your test but I saw relatively fast results with this. Important to note that I am not a personal trainer - this is purely from personal experience.
I too was strugling with press ups. So I did a low rep count in the morning and evening everyday apart from the day of the circuit.

Your back pain could be from another exercise in the circuit but don't ignore it. Making sure you have the correct form may help relieve the back pain.
This techneque for getting the correct form has helped me since my wrists would become painful near the end of the exercise.
Press up form:
First, go on to your hands and knees with you arms roughly shoulder width apart.
Know raise your kneesto the press up position. This pushes your body over the top of your hands.
Finally, look forward. This will allow for greater air flow and you might be able to do an extra one or two because of it.
Look and see if you have a local Parkrun near you! They are weekly timed 5Ks on Saturday morning, and are free! You just have to sign up on their website and print of the personalised barcode they give you and take it along. They are so good for people who are getting used to running, as there are people doing it in 16 minutes and people doing it in over an hour, so as long as you are reasonably fit, you'll always fall somewhere in the middle. The timed element also means that you have a good gauge of how much you improve every week(they send you your result by email). It's also a really great community to be a part of and the races are all over the place!!

Quick Reply

Latest