(Music Teacher) Is this good enough for someone without a levels to get accepted?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm 22 and currently thinking about applying for a music teacher position.
I have:
- 10 GCSEs including an A* in music
- ABRSM grade 8 in piano (Distinction)
- DipAbrsm in piano (Distinction)
- ABRSM grade 8 theory (Merit)
- ABRSM grade 8 cello ( Distinction)
- ABRSM grade 6 guitar (Distinction)
- BA Music from Open University
- will also have a PGCE in Music (NQT status)

For experience,
I have:
- Multiple school concerts
- 5 years of tutoring experience in Piano and theory

I was studying 3 a levels at 17 but due to severe health issues at the time I couldn't complete them , hence the open university degree. Do you think this is good enough to apply with or would I need to gain a levels?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I'm 22 and currently thinking about applying for a music teacher position.
I have:
- 10 GCSEs including an A* in music
- ABRSM grade 8 in piano (Distinction)
- DipAbrsm in piano (Distinction)
- ABRSM grade 8 theory (Merit)
- ABRSM grade 8 cello ( Distinction)
- ABRSM grade 6 guitar (Distinction)
- BA Music from Open University
- will also have a PGCE in Music (NQT status)

For experience,
I have:
- Multiple school concerts
- 5 years of tutoring experience in Piano and theory

I was studying 3 a levels at 17 but due to severe health issues at the time I couldn't complete them , hence the open university degree. Do you think this is good enough to apply with or would I need to gain a levels?
You've been accepted for a PGCE so they must think you have enough qualifications.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
OMG you sound like an amazingly qualified and experienced person - usually can add this in any additional comments - a school would be stupid to judge someone on a levels taken years ago, with experience and qualifications this good.

Best of luck
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Muttley79)
You've been accepted for a PGCE so they must think you have enough qualifications.
Ah, sorry the way I worded it made it sound like i'm doing the PGCE right now but what I meant was that i'm planning to apply for a PGCE.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
OMG you sound like an amazingly qualified and experienced person - usually can add this in any additional comments - a school would be stupid to judge someone on a levels taken years ago, with experience and qualifications this good.

Best of luck
Thank you, it's relieving to hear that
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ah, sorry the way I worded it made it sound like i'm doing the PGCE right now but what I meant was that i'm planning to apply for a PGCE.
They will not accept you on the course if they don't think you have the 'right' qualifications. Have you asked any PGCE providers or looked at https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/ for advice?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Muttley79)
They will not accept you on the course if they don't think you have the 'right' qualifications. Have you asked any PGCE providers or looked at https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/ for advice?
From what I've seen so far, for a PGCE you need GCSE maths and english at 4/C and a degree. What I'm concerned about is that if a degree is required then naturally A levles would be expected, as they are needed for every university except Open. My assumption could be wrong. I'll most likely call them tomorrow and ask - I jus thought i'll ask on here beforehand just incase anyone has already recived professional advice. Thannks anyways
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (205)
57.58%
I don't have everything I need (151)
42.42%

Watched Threads