Medicine UKCAT and BMAT Advice Watch

AK_SL
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,
Does anyone (preferably those who got a high score) have any recommendations for resources for the UKCAT and BMAT. In addition to this,
do you have any general tips for both exams. Are the UKCAT and BMAT 1-day crash courses or online courses worth going to and if so, which ones do you recommend?
Thanks for reading this.
MrMedMan
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Use the ISC books, for BMAT and UKCAT. Other books such as UKCAT for Dummies or How to master the UKCAT are alright.
For BMAT the best revison is the past papers on the exam site itself and the ISC book-( Around 700 -1000 questions?) Catch up on content for GCSE in all the sciences as well.

For the UKCAT
The ISC book is harder than normal but once your adjusted to the speed and diffuculty its fine, try to get a large bank of questions rather than focusing on going to a course since the information is usually the same and what will help you is the practice. For current Yr 12's stop worrying as its still early days but it wont hurt to get used to the format and gain the speed early.

But if you want to try a course, there are many money hungry companies ready to help!
Last edited by MrMedMan; 3 months ago
AK_SL
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrMedMan)
Use the ISC books, for BMAT and UKCAT. Other books such as UKCAT for Dummies or How to master the UKCAT are alright.
For BMAT the best revison is the past papers on the exam site itself and the ISC book-( Around 700 -1000 questions?) Catch up on content for GCSE in all the sciences as well.

For the UKCAT
The ISC book is harder than normal but once your adjusted to the speed and diffuculty its fine, try to get a large bank of questions rather than focusing on going to a course since the information is usually the same and what will help you is the practice. For current Yr 12's stop worrying as its still early days but it wont hurt to get used to the format and gain the speed early.

But if you want to try a course, there are many money hungry companies ready to help!
hi, thanks for your reply. I am not doing a lot of practice with the UKCAT but i was just trying some of the ISC book AR questions as i was too lazy to revise my A levels. I am usually quite good at maths and mental maths, but i struggle to do the ISC book's AR in timed conditions (40 second per question). Sometimes i even only manage to do 2 out of 8 of them, and this is worrying as maths is probably my best subject and I thought that i had quite a high aptitude. I feel like i need to be taught a technique on how to tackle they UKCAT and BMAT, which is why i was thinking about going to the courses but i know that they are rather pricey. Do you know any free/cheaper resources that give you advice on how to approach the questions and should i try to do the questions in timed conditions ATM or should i just try and complete them all for now.
P.S. Although i am aware that this is way too early to be properly revising for them, I rather enjoy doing aptitude tests like BMAT and UKCAT (unfortunately my brain is against the thought of revising properly for a levels, but at least i am channeling that procrastination into something moderately useful)
AK_SL
Rep:
?
bump
TODTEMPLE01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by AK_SL)
bump
I got 730 average in my UKCAT this year just gone (applying for 2019) and I would definitely recommend using Medify. It's a great resource - loads of questions and several mock exams with analysis telling you which sections you could do better on. I also had the ISC book but I found it too hard so didn't end up using it much. Medify was much more representative of the actual exam.
AK_SL
Rep:
?
hi, thanks for the reply. Do you have any BMAT recommendations and do you know any resources that recommend any methods on how to approach each section of the UKCAT and BMAT. Also do you have any tips on how to read 'faster' as when I try to read fast i often struggle to interpret the passage if i read it too quickly. (Original post by TODTEMPLE01)I got 730 average in my UKCAT this year just gone (applying for 2019) and I would definitely recommend using Medify. It's a great resource - loads of questions and several mock exams with analysis telling you which sections you could do better on. I also had the ISC book but I found it too hard so didn't end up using it much. Medify was much more representative of the actual exam.
TODTEMPLE01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by AK_SL)
hi, thanks for the reply. Do you have any BMAT recommendations and do you know any resources that recommend any methods on how to approach each section of the UKCAT and BMAT. Also do you have any tips on how to read 'faster' as when I try to read fast i often struggle to interpret the passage if i read it too quickly. (Original post by TODTEMPLE01)I got 730 average in my UKCAT this year just gone (applying for 2019) and I would definitely recommend using Medify. It's a great resource - loads of questions and several mock exams with analysis telling you which sections you could do better on. I also had the ISC book but I found it too hard so didn't end up using it much. Medify was much more representative of the actual exam.
Hi sorry, I didn't do the BMAT so can't give any advice on that unfortunately. As with the resources, when you sign up to the Medify thing they have videos alongside the question bank which you can use to get the basics of each section. I think as far as VR goes, I tried to spot the keywords in the question or any words that may be related by skim reading. If i couldn't get it, flag it, move on and if you have time come back to it at the end
Dizgurl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think for the BMAT, I would say do as many questions as possible, but most of all be aware of all the mistakes or logic errors you make and make a note of how to solve questions you don't know ( mistake I made this year ahaha). Also, in terms of questions, I would highly recommend doing the TSA Oxford/UCL papers, IMAT papers alongside normal BMAT S1 papers. 6med is a brilliant website that has a full on bank of questions, so I would recommed you to sign up to that when the time comes.
For Section 2, I would first learn the syllabus, because it's literally just GCSE science and maths content ( with a bit of AS). Learn physics equations as they come into use in practically every single past paper.
Section 3, do as many essay plans as possible ( again something I didn't do at all) and try to make bullet points for arguments that are for and against a particular controversial statement.
Honestly though, I really wouldn't be worrying about the UKCAT or BMAT right now- it's the time to focus on getting the AS grades you need because at the end of the day you need the grades to get into uni!
AK_SL
Rep:
?
Did you make your own methods on how to approach each question for the bmat and ukcat or did you use resources and follow their methods? Also for bmat section 3 how do you know what essay scores you are getting when practising?
alstudent_2019
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
got 707 in my ukcat

just medify bro nothing else

didnt sit the bmat
AK_SL
Rep:
?
are there techniques for approaching the questions in the subject, i.e. how to efficiently approach VR and AR. P.S. why do i get an error message saying that my charater count is too short for this (minus the P.S.) when people like DryCarmex only type one word and it is deemed as being ok.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (142)
21.16%
The paper was reasonable (327)
48.73%
Not feeling great about that exam... (126)
18.78%
It was TERRIBLE (76)
11.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise