The Student Room Group

The best video game developer!

Poll

Your choice!

Hi gamers, I am back with a new topic now! :smile:

Video games for PC or consoles would not exist, if there are no game developers which are creating them before release. And after we discussed about one of the famous developers, Rare, it is time to determine the best developer in your opinion, guys! vote your favorite in the included poll and let me know, it makes no difference whether the game developer was involved in PC or console games.

For my own part, it is really difficult to decide. Of course I like Capcom for the Mega Man/X and Street Fighter series, but also the Donkey Kong games by Rare and the lot of games released by Nintendo, especially the Super Mario ones. Don't forget to mention the (classic) Sonic games by Sega or just thinking about the Grand Theft series which is connected with Rockstar Games! Even Konami produced some awesome games and Game Freak built up a reputation with Pokemon! :eek3::eek3::eek3:

Sigh, when I have to come to a decision, it was never harder to make it like this time. But when I really have to, I tend to Capcom thanks to the named Mega Man games I was talking about. They coined me as gamer, that is why I choose this developer.

And now, it is your turn! :thumbsup:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Few listed are very good tbh, especially in the current day

Both Ubisoft and EA shovel half complete shite to hit sales targets and don't put the effort in they should
Konami could be described as the Japanese version
Rare's best days are long gone, since they aquisition by Microsoft they haven't really done anything good
I would say Sega is more of a publisher than a dev these days, the good things from Sega these days are published by and not developed by
Rockstar do make decenty games but they rely on timing of release to do well, they make people wait so long they overlook the major deficiencies because their balls have been made so blue
Blizzard these days seems to be just sitting on Hearthstone and Overwatch and occaisonally pushing out a mediocre expansion for another IP
LucasArts is dead as a dev, they excist purely for lincencing functions
That leaves Nintendo and Squenix who, as devs I don't have much negative to say, however Nintendo and their policies when it came to sharing content, yeah, and them changing that policy after all these years doesn't correct the stupidity of the policy

tbh though, I'd go for CDPR, can't think of anybody else currently that has the same attention to detail
Probably Nintendo for me - the Zelda franchise (especially Link's Awakening) and Mario franchise (especially Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins) were and still are great, and they're just a couple of examples of their 100s of titles.

Shoutouts for the 'other' category: New World Computing for giving us the Might and Magic franchise (and if I could take points away from Ubisoft for murdering it, I would); Troika for releasing three incredibly flawed but inspiring games which still get them talked about a decade and a half later; and Paradox for their Clausewitz Engine games.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Probably Nintendo for me - the Zelda franchise (especially Link's Awakening) and Mario franchise (especially Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins) were and still are great, and they're just a couple of examples of their 100s of titles.

Shoutouts for the 'other' category: New World Computing for giving us the Might and Magic franchise (and if I could take points away from Ubisoft for murdering it, I would); Troika for releasing three incredibly flawed but inspiring games which still get them talked about a decade and a half later; and Paradox for their Clausewitz Engine games.

Completely forgot about Paradox, even if they really need to move past Clausewitz

Also the bigger thing wrong with them is just how much it costs to keep their games fully up to date, CK2 is currently in excess of £250 for the base game and all DLC, Stellaris is already £150
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish
(...)

Nintendo is my second best I would say because of the amount of games I have from this developer. A clear sign that Nintendo made a good job in the past, as I have a high demand on games. :yes:
Guerrilla games, Obsidian, Larian Studies.
Reply 6
Bullfrog's late-eighties to late-nineties back-catalogue, under the stewardship of Peter Molyneux, remains without equal.
Apogee and sierra used to be great, good times.
Original post by Profesh
Bullfrog's late-eighties to late-nineties back-catalogue, under the stewardship of Peter Molyneux, remains without equal.

Is it just me or why I associate this developer with the game Jumper Frog? :rolleyes: never heard of it and know that it merged with EA.

Erm, you certainly know that Mobygames is a website-archive which stored games, but not developed? so what is your point?
Gearbox are pretty good, they bought us Borderlands which is my favourite series of games.

Obsidian made Fallout NV and The Stick of Truth, both fantastic games. Currently making Outer Worlds which looks amazing.

**** EA.
Original post by Decahedron
Gearbox are pretty good, they bought us Borderlands which is my favourite series of games.

Obsidian made Fallout NV and The Stick of Truth, both fantastic games. Currently making Outer Worlds which looks amazing.

**** EA.

I prefer Obsidian for Neverwinter Nights series, they also made KOTOR 2. Recently I liked their isometric RPG's.
Original post by Profesh

Yep, can't believe I forgot Bullfrog. I sank so much time into Theme Hospital back in the day. :moon:
Reply 13
How could you forget Naughty Dog? :smile: Uncharted,TLoU, Crash Bandicoot, Jak
Original post by Skyrim

I was expecting Bethesda with your name.
OMG thre are to many :eek: cant decide but i see wat u mean
Original post by Skyrim

It is because I don't know this game developer, but that does not change it for better, on the contrary. It is embarrassing, as Crash Bandicoot games are so popular and well known like Mario and Zelda. 😳
Reply 17
Valve for Half life series, Team fortress 2, Left 4 deads, Portals, Counter Strike (although didn't think CS was particularly special)

Unfortunately (proper) game developing seems to be a thing in the past with them, god knows why

Spoiler

Will not forget Obsidian for Fallout NV though
Original post by Ben878 (LfL)
Valve for Half life series, Team fortress 2, Left 4 deads, Portals, Counter Strike (although didn't think CS was particularly special)

Unfortunately (proper) game developing seems to be a thing in the past with them, god knows why

Spoiler

Will not forget Obsidian for Fallout NV though

Counter point for valve, they think there are only 2 numbers :P

Counter for Obsidian: bought my M$ so will be shut down in the next few years with nothing to show for the aquisition. Admittedly that's because I see this thread in terms of what they currently do rather than what they have done, I will not deny they did a very good job with NV given how short their Dev cycle had to be
first option :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest