A level combinations Watch

confusedalevels
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to take law at university and am struggling with what a levels to take, I’m certain I want to take a level law and a level psychology. I don’t want to do maths or science as they were never a amazing subject however I did get b’s in both, are classical civilisation and philosophy a good combo to go with them? Or that considered soft? Help!!?
mn9011
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by confusedalevels)
I want to take law at university and am struggling with what a levels to take, I’m certain I want to take a level law and a level psychology. I don’t want to do maths or science as they were never a amazing subject however I did get b’s in both, are classical civilisation and philosophy a good combo to go with them? Or that considered soft? Help!!?
For Law, I would recommend History, English Literature, and Philosophy.
confusedalevels
Rep:
?
(Original post by mn9011)
So law, psychology, philosophy and lit would be a good option? I’m worried english lit may be too difficult,I got a b at gcse but never really had a passion for it
Neil621
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
History and Literature are very good options. My mate who got into cambridge does those two and economics. But any respected subject with history and literature will be great
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
mn9011
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So law, psychology, philosophy and lit would be a good option? I’m worried english lit may be too difficult,I got a b at gcse but never really had a passion for it
I would personally avoid A Level law if I were applying to top Law courses in the country
confusedalevels
Rep:
?
I would personally avoid A Level law if I were applying to top Law courses in the country
Why would i avoid law if I’m looking to apply to a law degree, surely it’s self explanatory that’s a good idea, it says on ucas, you should do the a level you want to do as a degree
mn9011
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why would i avoid law if I’m looking to apply to a law degree, surely it’s self explanatory that’s a good idea, it says on ucas, you should do the a level you want to do as a degree
If you go on the websites of top unis like LSE, UCL, Oxbridge, then you will find a list of prefered subjects and non-prefered subjects. Law is a non-traditional applied A Level subject, hence is not considered to be a good course. Regardless of your background knowledge in Law, the university will teach you the course from scratch. In contrast, subjects like Philosophy and History are more about the quality of your written analysis and evaluation than pure knowledge about the subject. Obv details are required for evidence, however, ultimately one's critical thinking skills distinguish them from an A and a C grade History/ Lit/ Philosophy students.
confusedalevels
Rep:
?
If you go on the websites of top unis like LSE, UCL, Oxbridge, then you will find a list of prefered subjects and non-prefered subjects. Law is a non-traditional applied A Level subject, hence is not considered to be a good course. Regardless of your background knowledge in Law, the university will teach you the course from scratch. In contrast, subjects like Philosophy and History are more about the quality of your written analysis and evaluation than pure knowledge about the subject. Obv details are required for evidence, however, ultimately one's critical thinking skills distinguish them from an A and a C grade History/ Lit/ Philosophy students.
Surely it wouldn’t hinder me though? Having prior knowledge can’t be a bad thing? Like an A in a level law would be better than a c in history even though law is applied right?
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Surely it wouldn’t hinder me though? Having prior knowledge can’t be a bad thing? Like an A in a level law would be better than a c in history even though law is applied right?
Take any combo you want. It will be fine.

A-Level law was traditionally seen as weak, but has been reformed in the past few years. It's a good way to get the basics, so I think it makes a modicum of sense to take it.
confusedalevels
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
Take any combo you want. It will be fine.

A-Level law was traditionally seen as weak, but has been reformed in the past few years. It's a good way to get the basics, so I think it makes a modicum of sense to take it.
Would law, psychology, philosophy and sociology be a good shout? Are they strong subjects or weak ones?
学生の父
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Would law, psychology, philosophy and sociology be a good shout? Are they strong subjects or weak ones?
None of those subjects are traditional enabling A-levels: they're all applied (with the possible exception of philosophy). If you look at uni entrance requirements, you will find that courses will not require any of these subjects for their degree programmes. That's not to say you won't get a place with those subjects, it's just that they won't be among the required subjects.

RG unis especially will look favourably on English Literature and History. If I were you, I would choose at least one of that pair, if not both. As posters above have stated, A-level Law is not considered necessary to read Law at uni.
mn9011
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think a C in History would be more valuable than an A in Law. Again it's your choice. If you want to study A Level Law, then study it at all costs. Just try studying 4 A levels rather than 3 then.
DarkChaoz95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well, I dont think what A-levels you take matter. I took, law, history and IT. Take the subjects you feel you'll do the most well in.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 学生の父)
None of those subjects are traditional enabling A-levels: they're all applied (with the possible exception of philosophy). If you look at uni entrance requirements, you will find that courses will not require any of these subjects for their degree programmes. That's not to say you won't get a place with those subjects, it's just that they won't be among the required subjects.

RG unis especially will look favourably on English Literature and History. If I were you, I would choose at least one of that pair, if not both. As posters above have stated, A-level Law is not considered necessary to read Law at uni.
u wot
Spcb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do Law A level to see if you’d like it
Spcb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Exactly I got into Durham with Law a level. You’ll hear lots of nonsense about it don’t listen it’s I’ll informed and misguided
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (118)
17.72%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (70)
10.51%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (117)
17.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (99)
14.86%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (64)
9.61%
How can I be the best version of myself? (198)
29.73%

Watched Threads