HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
One of my economics professors, and he is a professor rather than an associate or lecturer, did a BA in economics at Stirling (came top in year) and then an MSc immediately after at Strathclyde - decent universities.

Within two years he was lecturing at Oxford, within three he was a researcher and within four he had completed his DPhil at Nuffield.

I'm not intending to be snobbish about academic prestige, neither am I interested in continuing at university after my undergraduate degree, but how does one graduate from an average university and very quickly gain acceptance, both professional and academic, from one of the UK's best universities?

His CV is here if you're interested - http://andrewoswald.com/docs/cvOswaldNovember2018.pdf
amihalo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because the quality of a researcher is not determined by the perceived status of their first degree university.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're talking about the 70s. Different world back then.
SerBronn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I imagine his MSc thesis was top-notch and a professor at Oxford was willing to accept him as a DPhil student. Some decent publications and you're set.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by HoldThisL)
One of my economics professors, and he is a professor rather than an associate or lecturer, did a BA in economics at Stirling (came top in year) and then an MSc immediately after at Strathclyde - decent universities.

Within two years he was lecturing at Oxford, within three he was a researcher and within four he had completed his DPhil at Nuffield.

I'm not intending to be snobbish about academic prestige, neither am I interested in continuing at university after my undergraduate degree, but how does one graduate from an average university and very quickly gain acceptance, both professional and academic, from one of the UK's best universities?

His CV is here if you're interested - http://andrewoswald.com/docs/cvOswaldNovember2018.pdf
there was far less research output back then, so it was easier to stand out (still clearly very accomplished tho) if he got a couple of things published as an undergrad/masters student and they were very well respected and recognised as high quality then other Universities be very keen to bring him to their institution... its all about the research and money ultimately
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (40)
16.26%
I'm not sure (8)
3.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (91)
36.99%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.63%
I'm not a current university student (103)
41.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise