3pointonefour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A ball of mass 0.2kg, moving along a horizontal surface, hits a fixed vertical wall at right angles. The ball rebounds at right angles to the wall with speed 3.5m/s. Given that the magnitude of the impulse exerted by the ball on the wall is 2Ns, find the speed of the ball just before it hits the wall.

So I did this question and found 2 different answers, one with u = 13.5m/s and one with u = 6.5m/s.
The difference in answers came from which impulse I took: do I take the impulse exerted by the wall on the ball, or vice versa?

Thanks in advance
3pointonefour
Rep:
?
Bump
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 3pointonefour)
Bump
Post your working .- I'm not sure what you are saying.
3pointonefour
Rep:
?
Here's my working Muttley79
Attached files
3pointonefour
Rep:
?
Bump
3pointonefour
Rep:
?
Pmub
3pointonefour
Rep:
?
buuuump
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stop bumping the thread .... the ball should be moving away from the wall after the impact.
3pointonefour
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Stop bumping the thread .... the ball should be moving away from the wall after the impact.
So this means that I should use the impulse of the wall on the ball... The one exerting left?

And sure thing
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So this means that I should use the impulse of the wall on the ball... The one exerting left?

And sure thing
When a ball hits a wall, the wall "forces" the ball away from the wall so the impulse on the ball is away from the wall.
3pointonefour
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
When a ball hits a wall, the wall "forces" the ball away from the wall so the impulse on the ball is away from the wall.
Ok thank you. So it would be 6.5 m/s then
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok thank you. So it would be 6.5 m/s then
It should be - have you got answers to check?
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Here's my working Muttley79
By Newton's 3rd Law, the impulse exerted on the wall by the ball is equal and opposite to the impulse exerted on the ball by the wall. Remember that impulse is proportional to the force.

If you were to consider the impulse on the wall by the ball (directed to the right since the ball is pushing the wall to the right), then you would need to consider the change of momentum of the wall. But there are other forces stopping the wall from moving and you'd have to include these in your calculations to give you a total impulse (which would actually be 0 since the wall is not moving).

Since you don't know anything about these forces on the wall, the only way to do this question is to consider the change of momentum of the ball. Thus you must consider the impulse that is directed to the left.
3pointonefour
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notnek)
By Newton's 3rd Law, the impulse exerted on the wall by the ball is equal and opposite to the impulse exerted on the ball by the wall. Remember that impulse is proportional to the force.

If you were to consider the impulse on the wall by the ball (directed to the right since the ball is pushing the wall to the right), then you would need to consider the change of momentum of the wall. But there are other forces stopping the wall from moving and you'd have to include these in your calculations to give you a total impulse (which would actually be 0 since the wall is not moving).

Since you don't know anything about these forces on the wall, the only way to do this question is to consider the change of momentum of the ball. Thus you must consider the impulse that is directed to the left.
So the impulse in the Impulse-Momentum equation refers to the Impulse that is acting on that specific body (in this case, the ball)?

Thanks a bunch, I'm just wanting to clear up misconceptions on my understanding
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So the impulse in the Impulse-Momentum equation refers to the Impulse that is acting on that specific body (in this case, the ball)?

Thanks a bunch, I'm just wanting to clear up misconceptions on my understanding
Yes, the impulse on an object is equal to the change of momentum of the object. From your working, it looks like you weren't clear on this.

You can take right as positive if you want but it would still mean that the impulse on the ball is directed to the left so it would be negative in this case.
Last edited by Sir Cumference; 1 year ago
3pointonefour
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notnek)
Yes, the impulse on an object is equal to the change of momentum of the object. From your working, it looks like you weren't clear on this.

You can take right as positive if you want but it would still mean that the impulse on the ball is directed to the left so it would be negative in this case.
Okay, thanks very much, makes more sense now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills โ€“ LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (534)
66.42%
No (270)
33.58%

Watched Threads