The Student Room Group

Could I do Zoology at Uni with a level 3 Btec in animal management

So, I recently had a change in heart as to what I want to do career wise, and I want to study animal/work with them. However I can't study a levels as a zoology degree requires biology a level, which I did not study at GCSE and so am unable to chose it for a level. My only other option is a Btec, and a level 3 in animal management seems like something that I'd be interested in studying and is equivalent to 3 a levels. My question is, would a university still allow me to take a zoology degree with this Btec despite not having a level biology
Original post by IrishAnon12
So, I recently had a change in heart as to what I want to do career wise, and I want to study animal/work with them. However I can't study a levels as a zoology degree requires biology a level, which I did not study at GCSE and so am unable to chose it for a level. My only other option is a Btec, and a level 3 in animal management seems like something that I'd be interested in studying and is equivalent to 3 a levels. My question is, would a university still allow me to take a zoology degree with this Btec despite not having a level biology

Hello IrishAnon12, :proud:

It's great to hear you are planning for the future and getting the right information early. The best solution to this would be to contact the university in which you are looking to apply for that offer the Zoology course. This way you will be hearing direct from the source whether or not your suggested BTEC would be accepted and the grade that would be required.

As most universities entry requirements differ it is best to contact each directly.

I hope this helps,
Tom :shakehand:
(edited 5 years ago)

Probably, I'm horticulture, not animals, but same deal, we're expected to have higher biology (or at least chem) but I used a City & Guuilts Lv 2 to get in with no issues.

The reply from Liverpool Hope is quite right - you will need to ask the unis you are interested in directly.

Another point to bear in mind is whether you want a mainly academic course. or something more immediately practical relatinig to animal care or management. Most 'pure' Zoology degrees focus on the academic side of things, with the content geared around animal classification, biochemistry, genetics, evolution, ecology and statistics. Any fieldwork will tend to involve habitat surveys and research in a rather academic context.
If you're more into animal care and management, perhaps think about courses that are geared towards zoo management (here's a random example that is very much on the practical side - https://ucreaseheath.ac.uk/courses/animal-science/foundation-degree-in-zoo-management/ ) or conservation (another random example - https://www.salford.ac.uk/ug-courses/wildlife-conservation-with-zoo-biology ). In any case, do take some time browsing course syllabuses to see what best suits.
I'm currently on my 2nd year of a City & Guilds Level 3 Technical Extended Diploma in Animal Management, I've applied for Zoology at Aberystwyth, Salford, Bangor, Hull and Reading and I've had offers from all of them, so it's definitely possible to study Animal Management and go on to study Zoology. I know that Cumbria and Exeter accept that qualification too, though all offers are subject to the exact modules you study. As long as you have some biology related modules such as Animal Behaviour, Animal Nutrition and Feeding, Ecology and Conservation, that sort of thing, you should be fine :smile: if you're still unsure you can apply for a Zoology degree with a foundation year - I know Reading and Hull definitely have them for their Zoology degrees, but several other unis have them too

Hi IrishAnon12,

It is possible for you to be eligible for Zoology with Foundation Year if you have Maths and English GCSEs at grade C/level 4 or above, and 64 UCAS points, which does not need to include a Science A Level. Successful completion of the foundation year will automatically gain you entry onto our BSc Zoology course.

For our BSc Zoology course we can consider BTEC National Diploma or a QAA approved Access to HE diploma in Science, achieving 112 UCAS points. We can also consider City and Guilds Level 3 Advanced Technical Extended Diploma in Animal Management - we would ask applicants to pass the course with at least 96 UCAS points overall.

You can find more information about our Zoology with Foundation Year course here: https://www.salford.ac.uk/ug-courses/zoology-with-foundation-year

You can find more information on our BSc Zoology cours here: https://www.salford.ac.uk/ug-courses/zoology

Hope this helps!
India - Student Social Media Assistant

not every zoology course needs a level because I'm doing a animal management btec and on the website that my college is one of the job opportunities for my course is zoology so it depends on what college or sixth form you go to
(edited 1 month ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending