pepperfish
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone so I was rejected from Cambridge last fortnight (I'm in Upper Sixth) and I'll be reapplying for 2020 if I get 4A* at Alevel. Ideally I would like to apply to Oxford this time round - it looks way nicer to me, not sure why I didn't consider it this year. However, I've heard that Cambridge really values grades, whereas Oxford value their entrance test more, so I figure I would stand a better chance of getting into Cambridge with 4A*, especially as the entrance test was my weak point this year.

Would I be right to think that? Should I go for Cambridge? Or Oxford? I like Oxford more but I want to be a bit more strategic this time - I'd be turning down other fantastic offers to reapply, which I might not get second time round, so I really want to maximise my chances.

Thank you.
hugebrain
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
which course?
pepperfish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by hugebrain)
which course?
English, so very competitive at both places. Love both courses though
MaxReid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes. I re-applied and the gap year changed me forever.

I had a Cambridge offer in 2015. I got complacent and missed it. Before then, I'd never worked or been responsible. The year out forced me to earn money and take some responsibility. I got an Oxford offer but the year would've been worth it anyway. I was so entitled in 2015 that I didn't even have an insurnace. If your dream is to go to Oxbridge then you should re-apply.
username3535256
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by pepperfish)
Hi everyone so I was rejected from Cambridge last fortnight (I'm in Upper Sixth) and I'll be reapplying for 2020 if I get 4A* at Alevel. Ideally I would like to apply to Oxford this time round - it looks way nicer to me, not sure why I didn't consider it this year. However, I've heard that Cambridge really values grades, whereas Oxford value their entrance test more, so I figure I would stand a better chance of getting into Cambridge with 4A*, especially as the entrance test was my weak point this year.

Would I be right to think that? Should I go for Cambridge? Or Oxford? I like Oxford more but I want to be a bit more strategic this time - I'd be turning down other fantastic offers to reapply, which I might not get second time round, so I really want to maximise my chances.

Thank you.
Apply to Oxford if you prefer it. Even if you don’t get in, you gap year won’t be wasted as long as you use it productively.

I don’t think you should worry about offers from the other universities. If you can produce 4A*s and a good personal statement, they’ll be all over you. (This is what happened to me this year - I was accepted to Oxford to read music as a post A level applicant.)
dkb73
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! Reapplicant here and was rejected from Oxford last year, couldn't decide between Oxford/Cambridge this year but I ended up reapplying to Oxford and got an offer!

I honestly narrowed it down to which one I think plays to my strengths more. In a way, I slightly preferred the Cambridge course but I found that I would be much stronger in the Oxford admissions test (which I have sat for before) as it is extremely different to Cambridge's, and having the previous year's Oxford interview experience would be a big advantage vs going into Cambridge interview starting from square one.

Also you can decide between Oxford/Cambridge much later after you've gotten your results. Hoping you get your 4A*s but sometimes you never know what happens. I would say grades are of course important for both, but sometimes having higher grades doesn't necessarily have an advantage (unless you have already achieved them) because everyone there will have the same, if not better, grades. I reapplied with slightly lower (achieved) grades than last year but still got in, though they do exceed the standard offer for the IB.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends what other offers you have, and how much you wanted to take a gap year anyway. If the latter doesn't appeal and you don't think you can make good use of it, then a year is a very long time just for a chance at Oxbridge. For every anecdote of a re-applicant getting an offer there's going to be 2-3+ people who didn't get in, bear in mind!
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Quite honestly,if you got offers from decent unis, then there is little point in wasting a year just to reapply to oxbridge. You see, oxbridge aren't the only unis in the UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (196)
59.94%
No (72)
22.02%
Not sure (59)
18.04%

Watched Threads