The Student Room Group

Bad sixth form is stressing me out

I am a year 12 student currently studying a level computer science, biology and engineering at a new school of which has only been open two years. The main reason for me joining was because of them offering an engineering qualification - but for computing and engineering the quality of teaching has been poor to say the least.

it's a new school that had only opened two years ago so when I joined there was no Ofsted or a level results, but the average a level result has been released and it is... an E.

I revise in almost all of my free periods but I am extremely concerned that I will fail my a levels because of this, is there any hope that I could get three solid c grades - im willing to put in effort but the quality of teaching is quite bad.

I'd really appreciate a response as this has been really stressing me out
yes, average grades coming out of the school won't affect your achievements if you're willing to put the effort in though i can see the teaching being a bit of a problem.. (might look even more impressive if you manage to get really good results at the end:wink:). how are you finding independent study for all your subjects?
With the revision you say you do you will come out with a C
Reply 3
@entertainmyfaith I am finding it productive although there is no textbook for the engineering course so I am having to use resources teachers have made (of varying quality) and complete my own research. I mean it just shocked me but I can't be surprised considering 95% of students do not use their free time productively at all - it's a sixth form with college like privileges so they can leave site whenever and get away with doing a very minimal lack of work
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by tyorke1
@entertainmyfaith I am finding it productive although there is no textbook for the engineering course so I am having to use resources teachers have made (of varying quality) and complete my own research. I mean it just shocked me but I can't be surprised considering 95% of students do not use their free time productively at all - it's a sixth form with college like privileges so they can leave site whenever and get away with doing a very minimal lack of work

ah, i see
i'm glad to hear you're being productive though- already a good habit to have right now :yep: some of the subjects i can imagine to be a little harder when it comes to resources etc engineering but you can always ask for assistance on tsr :smile:
are you finding your subjects overall ok or are you really struggling content and understanding-wise?
Original post by tyorke1
I am a year 12 student currently studying a level computer science, biology and engineering at a new school of which has only been open two years. The main reason for me joining was because of them offering an engineering qualification - but for computing and engineering the quality of teaching has been poor to say the least.

it's a new school that had only opened two years ago so when I joined there was no Ofsted or a level results, but the average a level result has been released and it is... an E.

I revise in almost all of my free periods but I am extremely concerned that I will fail my a levels because of this, is there any hope that I could get three solid c grades - im willing to put in effort but the quality of teaching is quite bad.

I'd really appreciate a response as this has been really stressing me out

That school sounds awful...

You can see how the rest of the year goes, but I would be planning my escape route already.
What I mean is, you could be applying to other local schools and colleges now for entry in September. Even if you had to do Year 1 again, that would be preferable (in my mind) to coming out with grades below what you are capable of. You wouldn't need to inform your school that you were considering leaving, you could just do it - and leave it until you have your first year results to decide whether you are going to stick it out or not.

There will be local colleges offering Engineering BTECs or you could do A levels in other subjects instead.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar
That school sounds awful...

You can see how the rest of the year goes, but I would be planning my escape route already.
What I mean is, you could be applying to other local schools and colleges now for entry in September. Even if you had to do Year 1 again, that would be preferable (in my mind) to coming out with grades below what you are capable of. You wouldn't need to inform your school that you were considering leaving, you could just do it - and leave it until you have your first year results to decide whether you are going to stick it out or not.

There will be local colleges offering Engineering BTECs or you could do A levels in other subjects instead.

sorry for the late reply but I think half the reasons for the bad results is just poor effort from students, so I reckon I'll see how this year goes before I consider resitting yr12 elsewhere or stayinf where I am

Quick Reply

Latest