emilyaw12
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently a Y11 student and I want to go into the performing arts industry. I have auditions for performing arts sixth form courses starting next month, and I. Am. Terrified. If I don't get in, it would mean the end of my career before it's even started, which completely freaks me out.
My parents don't approve (typical Asian parents I guess), as my dad is convinced performers get paid pennies, or something? Idk
I know it's a really really tough industry to go into, and the competition is immense, but I can't imagine myself doing much else. Definitely not an office job.
My backup plan is to become a performing arts teacher, but I haven't looked into that at all and have no idea what kind of qualifications are needed.
Advice (on anything)??

Btw my GCSEs are the core subjects (maths, 2 English, 3 sciences), plus Latin, dance, drama, music.
Last edited by emilyaw12; 1 year ago
wizkid44
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not sure where you live but here's some work experience: https://www.artsdepot.co.uk/work-exp...6-18-year-olds
As for the industry I would say networking is a big part of it so make sure you attend open classes and volunteer at local theatres and things like that (for e.g. https://becktheatre.org.uk/Online/wo...B-1EF2EF95B36F)
Also join local acting/dance/singing classes or a performing arts saturday school to help with technique, confidence as well as networking.
Just remember a lot of people in the performing arts industy didnt even go to performing arts college, and the good thing about it is that it caters for all ages
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (534)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (648)
41.22%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (318)
20.23%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.58%

Watched Threads