Are our actions our own?

Watch
username4437774
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Are the actions that we make/do really our own choice, or is someone/something else deciding for us?
username2657095
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We believe we have free will over our actions but there is a certain level of “determinism” too. For example, our brains already make a decision on how we will respond to a stimulus seconds before we even think about it -biological determinism.

I personally think it’s a combination of the two, like genetic and environmental factors and your early experiences all have a certain effect on the way we behave and the decisions we make. We may be more predisposed to doing something, but there’s still an opportunity for us to actively change it.
JackBrook
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is a really sticky topic. It's a spiritual question and different people have varying (and often quite extreme) views.

Here's my two cents:

I don't believe in God, but I believe in individual meaning and conscience, and this element of being essentialy performs the role of a deity. In that sense, your conscience guides you through your actions based on the influenced of experiences you have had. So you're not assessing all situations as if they're brand new, and some of your logic is pre-determined. But they key here is that it's still you.

The alternative view of a religous person would be that a deity is a being detached from humanity, so to an extent they feel that this exonerates them from a level of responsibilty. The deity that guides them is not conscience, but a seperate, 'all good' being, and so the credit or blame for their actions should be apportioned at least partially elsewhere. As a result they might tell you that "everything happens for a reason" or that everything that happends is "God's plan". Therefore you might interpret this to mean there is no true free will.

I personally believe in sovereignty of the human being and in individual responsibility, so my answer would be 'Yes, our actions are our own'.

By the way, that is not to say that you cannot be influenced learn to think differently.
Derren Brown explores this regularly, see below:

'The Push' - https://www.channel4.com/programmes/...ed-to-the-edge
'Sacrifice' - https://www.netflix.com/title/80216677
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I reckon David Hume was broadly along the right tracks, and that's about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (726)
33.81%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (920)
42.85%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (407)
18.96%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (94)
4.38%

Watched Threads