lewis.h
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Would the population of a species in an ecosystem decreasing be a loss in biodiversity ?

Or does the entire species have to be removed from the area for it to be considered a loss in biodiversity ?

Thanks,

Lewis.
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lewis.h)
Would the population of a species in an ecosystem decreasing be a loss in biodiversity ?

Or does the entire species have to be removed from the area for it to be considered a loss in biodiversity ?

Thanks,

Lewis.
Biodiversity can be measured in terms of genetic diversity, species diversity and habitat diversity.

As a direct effect, losing a significant part of a population is likely to result in a fall in genetic diversity as some variants/alleles may disappear from the gene pool.

As a secondary effect, a significant fall in numbers in one species is likely to have a knock-on effect in terms of other species which rely upon them. An example would be how a fall in Roe Deer numbers in a forest could reduce the population to such an extent that the forest could no longer hold sufficient deer to support a population of a predator like the Lynx ( i.e. resulting in a drop in species diversity). Similarly, a drop in a species which has a significant effect on shaping the heterogeneity of a habitat could result in a loss of habitat diversity e.g. once the density of Roe Deer drops below a certain level, there may be insufficient numbers to browse young seedlings,/saplings and maintain open forest clearings - so the forest loses this habitat.

For exam purposes, I imagine you'd have to make sure you clarifiy your definition so as to justify your answer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (254)
34.14%
No (490)
65.86%

Watched Threads