will the uk be exporting food (meat)from the usa Watch

ummarahman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
quick question after Brexit will the UK be exporting food especially meat from the USA?
will the government export food knowing it contains harmful chemical?
sorry i know it sounds stupid but i want to know if it has been addressed by the government
(haven't been keeping up with Brexit)
also, will the government be thinking of keeping or making similar laws about chemicals in food like the eu have?
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ummarahman)
quick question after Brexit will the UK be exporting food especially meat from the USA?
will the government export food knowing it contains harmful chemical?
sorry i know it sounds stupid but i want to know if it has been addressed by the government
(haven't been keeping up with Brexit)
also, will the government be thinking of keeping or making similar laws about chemicals in food like the eu have?
learn the difference between importing and exporting and then we can talk
ummarahman
Rep:
?
ohh **** importing and exporting how the actual hell did I use those in the wrong context...just been reading a lot about Brexit and have suddenly become aware of the consequences.
also cant stop laughing at what a idiot i have made myself look like fml
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Personally I do not see a US/UK trade deal happening. I ultimately believe we will remain in the EU or have a soft brexit.
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You mean importing? Yes, we will. The EU as a whole already imports US beef, I believe the US (as well as almost every other country outside the EU thanks to WTO) can export 45,000 tonnes of hormone-free beef duty-free. IIRC the market share for US beef in the EU is about 30% or so.

If you're worried about it just avoid US meat. Australia has a very competitive meat industry, in fact, I believe Australian meat is prefered in the foodservice industry because of its size, quality and consistency of availability. I mean, if you're going to eat meat, why not make it a treat and get the good stuff?
Last edited by TheMcSame; 3 weeks ago
ummarahman
Rep:
?
hopefully, i would rather anything then a deal with the USA i feel like we would truly be shooting ourselves on the foot
study beats
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
we will get meat from where ever we want
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Wether we get a trade deal with the US is dependant upon how closely parliament decides to follow the referendum result, but if they do somehow decide that we should actually leave the EU then we will be free to and yes that would probably mean American meat being sold in larger quantities over here.
Don't be fooled by the chlorinated chicken myth though, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the process.
winterscoming
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't forget that losing access to the single market wouldn't only make it harder to trade with the EU 27.

There are dozens of other non-EU countries which the UK currently has easier access to as a result of its single market membership, so the UK would have more trade barriers with those other countries as well, since the agreements that those countries have with the EU would no longer apply between them and the UK.

Aside from that, no other trading relationships would change - the UK is already allowed to trade with whoever it likes under its current terms of membership via WTO rules - this includes the US. The WTO rules are restrictive however. In other words, the net effect will be to add barriers but wouldn't remove any.
Last edited by winterscoming; 3 weeks ago
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by winterscoming)
Don't forget that losing access to the single market wouldn't only make it harder to trade with the EU 27.

There are dozens of other non-EU countries which the UK currently has easier access to as a result of its single market membership, so the UK would have more trade barriers with those other countries as well, since the agreements that those countries have with the EU would no longer apply between them and the UK.

Aside from that, no other trading relationships would change - the UK is already allowed to trade with whoever it likes under its current terms of membership via WTO rules - this includes the US. The WTO rules are restrictive however. In other words, the net effect will be to add barriers but wouldn't remove any.
The UK would be able to trade freely with African countries as well as the rest of the world on better tariffs, therefore cheaper.
Africa is an interesting one, trade deals with African countries would help them out a great deal therefore allowing them to become more self sufficient, so another plus.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...=1548400179072
winterscoming
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
The UK would be able to trade freely with African countries as well as the rest of the world on better tariffs, therefore cheaper.
Africa is an interesting one, trade deals with African countries would help them out a great deal therefore allowing them to become more self sufficient, so another plus.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...=1548400179072
There would be no such deal in place -- the UK would need to negotiate such a deal before anything like this could happen - these processes take take years to complete and take effect.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If I were the PM I'd of sent someone to the Whitehouse to negotiate the day ofter the 2016 referendum result.

However the correct plan long term would be to become more self-sufficient, hey imagine spending the tax payers money on producing your own food boosting your own economy instead of gifting it to forigen counties boosting theirs!

But in the short term a deal of shorts needed to be done by now to strengthen the negotiations with the EU.

Non of this has happened because our PM and her party are garbage
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by winterscoming)
There would be no such deal in place -- the UK would need to negotiate such a deal before anything like this could happen - these processes take take years to complete and take effect.
They can, but they can also be done relatively simply and quickly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (238)
59.65%
No (161)
40.35%

Watched Threads