The Student Room Group

I need your opinion (physics course)

Hey i'm a mature student from Spain, 22 y/o.

I applied for:
Queen Mary foundation year physics
Surrey physics
Royal Holloway physics
Southampton physics
Manchester foundation year physics

I don't have finished my GSCE and I don't have A-Levels(In spain), instead I have 2 BTECS

BTEC Computer Science/ICT level 3
BTEC Sales Management and comercial spaces lvl 3

They didn't reply my application yet, do you think I could have a place anywhere? I tried to show them my interest in the physics background and also have been learning maths and physics myself in home. Am I suitable?
Original post by DrStephenHawking
Hey i'm a mature student from Spain, 22 y/o.

I applied for:
Queen Mary foundation year physics
Surrey physics
Royal Holloway physics
Southampton physics
Manchester foundation year physics

I don't have finished my GSCE and I don't have A-Levels(In spain), instead I have 2 BTECS

BTEC Computer Science/ICT level 3
BTEC Sales Management and comercial spaces lvl 3

They didn't reply my application yet, do you think I could have a place anywhere? I tried to show them my interest in the physics background and also have been learning maths and physics myself in home. Am I suitable?

did you speak to the universities before applying? universities generally would expect you to have gcses in maths and science at least or equivalent as well as level 3 qualifications.
Hi. I studied physics at Royal Holloway after doing an Access to HE course in Engineering. My feeling from what you have posted is that they will say you don't have enough maths at A level standard. You might be accepted onto one of the courses with a foundation year, but honestly, I would be surprised if you get offers for the others. If you don't have any luck with these applications, I would recommend that you concentrate on applying for foundation years through Extra or Clearing, and if that is unsuccessful, then you should try to gain suitable level 3 qualifications and try again next year. Good luck.
Thanks for your opinions, the problem in Spain is there are not BTEC related directly to maths or physics, when I did speak with them I told that I have been learning maths and physics my own. And yes, they told me I do need a maths and physics background so I hope they are able to accept me in a foundation year course, should I talk with the universities while i'm waiting their answer and talk about this with them, I dont want get refused by all of them without any option to higher eduction because I dont want to waste my time anymore and start mastering in physics. That's why in my basis i'm not sure if I shall keep contact with them during this time.

By the other hand the Extra option is about add 1 more foudation year in my case after certain deadline?
Original post by DrStephenHawking
Thanks for your opinions, the problem in Spain is there are not BTEC related directly to maths or physics, when I did speak with them I told that I have been learning maths and physics my own. And yes, they told me I do need a maths and physics background so I hope they are able to accept me in a foundation year course, should I talk with the universities while i'm waiting their answer and talk about this with them, I dont want get refused by all of them without any option to higher eduction because I dont want to waste my time anymore and start mastering in physics. That's why in my basis i'm not sure if I shall keep contact with them during this time.

By the other hand the Extra option is about add 1 more foudation year in my case after certain deadline?

I think it's worth contacting them directly: a brief email explaining your situation and asking for advice won't hurt your case.

Extra allows you add another choice if you don't receive any offers. I'm not familiar with the details, but it will be explained on the UCAS website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending