Would Napoleon and Vladimir Lenin have been friends?

Watch
username4457616
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If Napoleon Bonaparte was around at the same time as Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov
and they had similar power status. Would they be friends? perhaps in a high school setting.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Yakkers21)
If Napoleon Bonaparte was around at the same time as Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov
and they had similar power status. Would they be friends? perhaps in a high school setting.
No. Napoleon was an imperialist; Lenin was a communist. They would have been the ones with rival gangs constantly beating the seven bells of **** out of one another.
username4457616
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tootles)
No. Napoleon was an imperialist; Lenin was a communist. They would have been the ones with rival gangs constantly beating the seven bells of **** out of one another.
How committed was Napoleon to the imperialist ideology? They both came to power through a people's revolution so they would have that in common. I was wondering, given that, whether he would be influenced to become a communist under different circumstances as Marx hadn't presented the theory yet.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How committed was Napoleon to the imperialist ideology? They both came to power through a people's revolution so they would have that in common. I was wondering, given that, whether he would be influenced to become a communist under different circumstances as Marx hadn't presented the theory yet.
The Bolsheviks were obsessed with the French Revolution and compared thenselves with variouse characters of it. Bonnapartism was generally seen as a form of reaction against revolution. It was something to avoid.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Considering he actually made himself Emperor of the French and King of Italy, I'd say pretty committed.
username4457616
Rep:
?
Considering he actually made himself Emperor of the French and King of Italy, I'd say pretty committed.
Because Emperor and Supreme Leader are entirely different
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because Emperor and Supreme Leader are entirely different
The definition of Emperor is "leader of an imperial state". They are the same word; coming from the Latin imperator, meaning supreme leader/someone who must be obeyed.

Stop trying to justify them being schoolyard chums. It wouldn't have worked.
username4457616
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
The Bolsheviks were obsessed with the French Revolution and compared thenselves with variouse characters of it. Bonnapartism was generally seen as a form of reaction against revolution. It was something to avoid.
Thats what I mean, we have no way of knowing how receptive Napoleon would have been to these new ideas. I think the idea of a communist Napoleon would be interesting
Kramyful
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The definition of Emperor is "leader of an imperial state". They are the same word; coming from the Latin imperator, meaning supreme leader/someone who must be obeyed.

It's "what if" history not "what are you on about" history.
username4457616
Rep:
?

Perhaps they wouldn't have played hopscotch together but the ideology behind them are more similar than you would care to admit. Take stalin for example, he created a communist empire therefore he was a communist and an imperialist. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Perhaps they wouldn't have played hopscotch together but the ideology behind them are more similar than you would care to admit. Take stalin for example, he created a communist empire therefore he was a communist and an imperialist. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
:lol: K
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (367)
19.73%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.46%

Watched Threads