The Student Room Group

GCSE OPTIONS HELP!!!!! Geo or art?????

’m in year 9 and I’m meant to choose my options in a week. I’ve definitely chosen:

-English Lang and lit (CIE)
-Triple Science (CIE)
-maths (CIE)
-additional maths (CIE)
-History (CIE)
-French or Spanish (CIE)

Because I’m taking triple science and I can’t sit my language exam as a private candidate I only have 3 options left - one is taken by a language and another is taken by history. I’m unsure whether to take Art (edexcel) or geography (CIE) for my last option. I want to be a doctor in the future so I know geo would be more beneficial since it’s more scientific and more well regarded by universities. But I find it a bit boring and I’m really only interested in human geography. Art I enjoy a bit more but I know it’s a lot of work and I don’t want it interfering with my other subjects . Also I don’t want a career in art and geography might open more doors in the future. But I feel like adding an art will add variation to my options since I already have history under my belt. Also it might help with dexterity which is an asset in medicine and surgery?? Idk. The skills I learn in geo May be more useful and transferable in the future tho. I am very skilled in both subjects. Please help!!!!
Original post by Yeet1608
’m in year 9 and I’m meant to choose my options in a week. I’ve definitely chosen:

-English Lang and lit (CIE)
-Triple Science (CIE)
-maths (CIE)
-additional maths (CIE)
-History (CIE)
-French or Spanish (CIE)

Because I’m taking triple science and I can’t sit my language exam as a private candidate I only have 3 options left - one is taken by a language and another is taken by history. I’m unsure whether to take Art (edexcel) or geography (CIE) for my last option. I want to be a doctor in the future so I know geo would be more beneficial since it’s more scientific and more well regarded by universities. But I find it a bit boring and I’m really only interested in human geography. Art I enjoy a bit more but I know it’s a lot of work and I don’t want it interfering with my other subjects . Also I don’t want a career in art and geography might open more doors in the future. But I feel like adding an art will add variation to my options since I already have history under my belt. Also it might help with dexterity which is an asset in medicine and surgery?? Idk. The skills I learn in geo May be more useful and transferable in the future tho. I am very skilled in both subjects. Please help!!!!

Hi there,

Hoping I can offer some support here.

There are pros and cons of taking both subjects, however it's important to keep in mind that the most important subjects at this stage is your Maths, English and Sciences. Medical schools will expect you to be acheiving grades 8's and 9's at GCSE so it might help for you to pick the subject that you feel you will do best in and get the highest grade.

Your subject choices become more important at A-level where the likes of Chemistry and Biology are the subjects medical schools ask for, which is why your sciences at GCSE are so important.

My advice would be to think about the following and see if you can come to a decision:

1. Which subject do you feel you would enjoy the most?
2. Which subject do you think you will acheive the highest grade in?
3. Do you want to take either of these subjects at A-level?

Whichever subject you do decide to take as long as you do well and achieve a high grade neither will make an impact on your future career at this stage. It's worth keeping in mind too that all medical schools have slightly different entry requirements so to try and reassure you about your decision it might to research the GCSE and A-level entry requirements now for the future on a website called UCAS - https://www.ucas.com/

For example, Brighton and Sussex Medical School's entry requirements are - Grades AAA in A-level Biology and Chemistry and then one additional subject. They also ask for a minimum of GCSEs English and Maths at grade 6.

Looking at medicine at Cardiff University, they have the same A-level entry requirements but state they need you to have at least 9 GCSEs wth a minimum of grade 6 in English, Maths and Sciences.

University might seem really far into the future but by doing some research now it can really help you to pick both your GCSEs and A-levels.

I hope this helps, if you have further questions we are always happy to help.

Thanks, Sophie.

Quick Reply