Zulumoon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm looking to apply for Scandinavian Studies at University of Edinburgh, but I am unsure on whether to apply for it as a joint degree with History or just as a language or whether I should apply for both of them.
Also, I'm unsure on where having this as a degree would help me in getting a job.
eggboydraco
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just got an offer back to do this course. I've never done a history/language type course beyond GCSE or as a hobby, so this is a bit of a curveball course for me too but it sounds really fun and interesting.If I remember correctly from the Open Day, scottish unis usually have you do modules from other subjects alongside your degree? So if you apply for History and Scandinavian Studies, you could also do English or something in your First Year. The courses are typically very flexible in that you could always drop History or Scandinavian Studies to do something else or just focus on one subject for the remaining years of your degree. The problem with it being such a niche course is employability, as there're very few fields where this degree would be directly relevant. However, the broader skills, language etc. are highly applicable to jobs like translating, office work etc. (Businesses are always looking for translators to make their work more global) but also (especially if you do History or a science) in pursuing Archaeology or Scandinavian History. History is especially applicable to a multitude of careers, like teaching. It all depends on what you want to do.
liviaberti0
Badges: 1
Report 1 year ago
Ive applied to do Scandinavian Studies at Edinburgh. Its been over a month and i still have no reply :/ what other courses did you apply for and where? and what offer were you given from Edinburgh?
eggboydraco
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by liviaberti0)
Ive applied to do Scandinavian Studies at Edinburgh. Its been over a month and i still have no reply :/ what other courses did you apply for and where? and what offer were you given from Edinburgh?
I got an offer of ABB from Edinburgh. As they're a big university and are quite high-ranking, I was told that they take a while to get through applications. Try not to worry. I sent off my application at the start of October and only heard back 3 weeks ago. If you're still worried, then email the department and ask, I guess.
I applied and got offers for Celtic & Anglo Saxon Studies with English at Aberdeen (BBB), English at Uni of York (AAA/A*AB), English at Stirling (BBC), and English & Creative Writing at Dundee (BBB), as well as Edinburgh.
liviaberti0
Badges: 1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by eggboydraco)
I got an offer of ABB from Edinburgh. As they're a big university and are quite high-ranking, I was told that they take a while to get through applications. Try not to worry. I sent off my application at the start of October and only heard back 3 weeks ago. If you're still worried, then email the department and ask, I guess.
I applied and got offers for Celtic & Anglo Saxon Studies with English at Aberdeen (BBB), English at Uni of York (AAA/A*AB), English at Stirling (BBC), and English & Creative Writing at Dundee (BBB), as well as Edinburgh.
wow thats a long time! Thanks for the reassurance and well done with all your offers
eggboydraco
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by liviaberti0)
wow thats a long time! Thanks for the reassurance and well done with all your offers
Thank you! And yeah. A lot of the big unis are the same so honestly, it's not a bad sign. Best of luck with your offers and hopefully see you in September
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.82%
No (313)
70.18%

Watched Threads