Is it ok to be a mature student at university? Watch

King Emojai
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I want to study for an undergraduate degree at a university in 3 years from now after I have finished getting the qualifications which I will need to get into the universities which I want to go to. However, it looks like if I wait 3 years to go to university, I will have to apply as a mature student because I will turn 21 years old just before October. My question is, are there any disadvantages of becoming a mature student instead of a normal student? Will I be treated differently in any way? Will I be put in different classes filled with people who are older than me or anything like that? I would like answers to be broad and referring to universities in general, however, if there is any difference, I am particularly interested in Oxford University. (And also Loughborough University.
PinkTabbyKitten
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by King Emojai)
I want to study for an undergraduate degree at a university in 3 years from now after I have finished getting the qualifications which I will need to get into the universities which I want to go to. However, it looks like if I wait 3 years to go to university, I will have to apply as a mature student because I will turn 21 years old just before October. My question is, are there any disadvantages of becoming a mature student instead of a normal student? Will I be treated differently in any way? Will I be put in different classes filled with people who are older than me or anything like that? I would like answers to be broad and referring to universities in general, however, if there is any difference, I am particularly interested in Oxford University. (And also Loughborough University.
You'll find a complete mix of people at university. 21 is technically a mature student but in reality its still pretty young in the scheme of things! I started my undergraduate degree at 23 - and although I occassionally notice a difference between myself and other students, I think that is due to having been in the work environment for 5 years before instead of continuous education.

My course is only small but I know on other courses within the university there are many mature students(talking 30's,40's,50's), international students.. and everything else in between. There is no normal route into uni!! You will be put into normal classes just the same as everyone else and your peers will all depend on who else applies/ accepts that year.

Student wellbeing services often have extra advice if needed for mature students, there may be societies for you - or you may just choose to join the usual sports and societies. In reality being 21 many people wont even notice your age difference unless you tell them
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 8 months ago
Absolutely fine and people of all ages go to uni. Unless you cary on pointing it out to people, then people wont know your age and it will not be an issue at all. It is not a big deal. The only disadavantage is if you get paranoid in your own head and you make it an issue. You will be in the same classes as everyone else and I cnat think why you would not be? Dont woprry, get your qualifications and save some money. If you are oing to oxford then make sure you meet the entrance requirements.
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes, of course it's okay to be a mature student

No, you won't be segregated as a result of your age

Yes, you may be treated differently, as someone who has more life experience than an 18 year old who is fresh out of college. No, it's not going to have a significant impact on you

No, there are no real disadvantages to being a mature student. Any disadvantage you think of probably has its own advantage too
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
1 in 5 students at Loughborough are mature.
Loughborough University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi King Emojai

Although 21 is technically classed as a mature student, you're not going to be that different in age to your course mates wherever you go to uni. There will also be plenty of people who have deferred for a year so that's only 2 year between you and them. There will be 18 year olds with a very mature outlook too. You definitely don't get put in different clasess or anything like that. The main difference is that you may be eligible for some additional bursaries.

If you want to go to university - and it sounds like you are very focused on what you want to achieve which is great - then go for it. It doesn't matter what age you'll be, you may even find it advantageous. Good luck and I hope you get to where you want to be

Vicky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads