The Student Room Group

How do I self-study A-Level Mathematics?

Help, please. The exam board websites are way to confusing and I don't understand what units I am supposed to be studying for A-Level Mathematics!

(I will be studying Edexcel A-Level Mathematics) I looked on the Edexcel website and it was extremely hard to find out what units are included in both AS-Level Mathematics and A-Level Mathematics, but when I finally did find the unit, it just made me more confused. It says that some units are optional (You can choose between M1, S1 or D1. And it also says that there is optional coursework (I can't do coursework because I am self-studying.)

So can anybody tell me exactly what units I have to study for BOTH AS-Level Mathematics and A-Level Mathematics, please? And if there are optional units that I can choose from, what does this mean? How will I make it so that the final exam I take has the optional unit which I chose?

(So far I know that I will need C1, C2 + anything else for AS-Level, and I know that I will need C3, C4 + anything else for A-Level. Or at least I think so. It was just so confusing I'm not even sure if that is right.)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by King Emojai
Help, please. The exam board websites are way to confusing and I don't understand what units I am supposed to be studying for A-Level Mathematics!

(I will be studying Edexcel A-Level Mathematics) I looked on the Edexcel website and it was extremely hard to find out what units are included in both AS-Level Mathematics and A-Level Mathematics, but when I finally did find the unit, it just made me more confused. It says that some units are optional (You can choose between M1, S1 or D1. And it also says that there is optional coursework (I can't do coursework because I am self-studying.)

So can anybody tell me exactly what units I have to study for BOTH AS-Level Mathematics and A-Level Mathematics, please? And if there are optional units that I can choose from, what does this mean? How will I make it so that the final exam I take has the optional unit which I chose?

(So far I know that I will need C1, C2 anything else for AS-Level, and I know that I will need C3, C4 anything else for A-Level. Or at least I think so. It was just so confusing I'm not even sure if that is right.)

Are you a uk student or international?

When do you want to take the exams?

If you are a uk student you would study this specification where there are no units or options
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.html#tab-1

If you are an international student the specification you prepare for will depend on the timing of your exams.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest