I want to get a job but i'm very nervous (social anxiety) Watch

student-talk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So i'm sixteen, and my mum has told me that it would be good if I got a job this summer, after taking my GCSE's, (which I think is a great idea!), however I am very shy and I don't want to do something that's too overwhelming, were i'll have to talk to staff too much (don't mind too much about customers) and preferably somewhere quieter. What would you guys recommend? I'm not trying to be selfish, I just want to get out of my comfort zone, but I want to try to take baby steps, so it doesn't put me off totally! I have social anxiety,but I am really doing well to try and overcome it recently, as I don't want it to stop me from doing things any longer! Has anyone else had a similar experience to this, and does anyone have any advice.
diplocat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First of all, good for you for entertaining the idea! Social anxiety and shyness can be challenging and it’s great you’d like to take a step forward in putting yourself out there with a job. You’re in luck, as there are plenty of entry level positions that require you to speak with customers but not so much with your colleagues. Sales associate, receptionist, and host positions often end up being less collaborative as they’re more focused on the consumer experience than internal workflow. For example, if you were a host at a restaurant, you’d be able to challenge yourself to interact with lots of people, without having to have extended interactions or long-term working relationships with them. But you’ll likely end up chatting with and befriending servers when your shift is slow you can probably find a quieter restaurant by doing a bit of exploring so you know the “rush” times won’t be overwhelming for you. Good luck in your job hunt and overcoming your anxiety!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username4460974
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hopefully you can overcome any anxieties u may have
Lala~
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Goodluck! It won’t be easy but you go girl/guy!
student-talk
Rep:
?
(Original post by diplocat)
First of all, good for you for entertaining the idea! Social anxiety and shyness can be challenging and it’s great you’d like to take a step forward in putting yourself out there with a job. You’re in luck, as there are plenty of entry level positions that require you to speak with customers but not so much with your colleagues. Sales associate, receptionist, and host positions often end up being less collaborative as they’re more focused on the consumer experience than internal workflow. For example, if you were a host at a restaurant, you’d be able to challenge yourself to interact with lots of people, without having to have extended interactions or long-term working relationships with them. But you’ll likely end up chatting with and befriending servers when your shift is slow you can probably find a quieter restaurant by doing a bit of exploring so you know the “rush” times won’t be overwhelming for you. Good luck in your job hunt and overcoming your anxiety!
Thank you this has given me some ideas of some jobs I could do, I am going to go and ask in diffrent places to see if anywhere needs anyone. Thanks fo the help. I am sure there's a quiter resterant somewhere I could work in, a sales associate sounds like a good idea.
student-talk
Rep:
?
(Original post by lesleyberry02)
Hopefully you can overcome any anxieties u may have
Yes I really hope I can, I feel very hopeful.
student-talk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lala~)
Goodluck! It won’t be easy but you go girl/guy!
Thanks for the support, it means a lot
username4460974
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by student-talk)
Yes I really hope I can, I feel very hopeful.
Yes best of luck to u
MarkTaylorCa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, if you feel yourself uncomfartable interracting with people, I'd recommend to overcome yourself and find some job where you will meet new people. It's like when you are affraid of height you just jump with a parachute. Good luck!
Analyst89
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So i'm sixteen, and my mum has told me that it would be good if I got a job this summer, after taking my GCSE's, (which I think is a great idea!), however I am very shy and I don't want to do something that's too overwhelming, were i'll have to talk to staff too much (don't mind too much about customers) and preferably somewhere quieter. What would you guys recommend? I'm not trying to be selfish, I just want to get out of my comfort zone, but I want to try to take baby steps, so it doesn't put me off totally! I have social anxiety,but I am really doing well to try and overcome it recently, as I don't want it to stop me from doing things any longer! Has anyone else had a similar experience to this, and does anyone have any advice.
I hope this helps:

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller. For example, if you are on holiday, you go there to experience and observe the attraction, you're not going to get anxious doing that are you?

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, accept yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, you have got as much right as everyone else.

Think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you confident? What makes you proud? Do you have a skill you are good at? Do things like cooking, driving, learning that increases your confidence daily. Relax.

Have good posture, body language, improve your appearance. Be happy with yourself.

Be with positive people, progress, you could learn a new skill.

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, what's the latest, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, what they will get up to, what they got up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about what's happening.

Talk about the weather or did you see that sports game? Just mingle with them,

Compliment them, say "I like your jacket".

If you know they went on a holiday or somewhere, ask them about it etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

9) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, approachable, interested, relaxed
student-talk
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MarkTaylorCa)
Hi, if you feel yourself uncomfartable interracting with people, I'd recommend to overcome yourself and find some job where you will meet new people. It's like when you are affraid of height you just jump with a parachute. Good luck!
Yes I feel so 2 i'm really trying to push myself, as I want to some out of my comfort zone, thank for reply
student-talk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Analyst89)
I hope this helps:

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller. For example, if you are on holiday, you go there to experience and observe the attraction, you're not going to get anxious doing that are you?

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, accept yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, you have got as much right as everyone else.

Think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you confident? What makes you proud? Do you have a skill you are good at? Do things like cooking, driving, learning that increases your confidence daily. Relax.

Have good posture, body language, improve your appearance. Be happy with yourself.

Be with positive people, progress, you could learn a new skill.

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, what's the latest, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, what they will get up to, what they got up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about what's happening.

Talk about the weather or did you see that sports game? Just mingle with them,

Compliment them, say "I like your jacket".

If you know they went on a holiday or somewhere, ask them about it etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

9) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, approachable, interested, relaxed
Thank you, that must of taken a while to write, this is really helpful, I think I may even copy and paste this, and read it before I go, to help give myself encouragement. I really appreciate this thank you. I will definitely bear these things in mind, and when I start to panic, think them through in my head and try to concentrate on them, so that hopefully I can stop panicking. Thank you for all your help.
student-talk
Rep:
?
Just to let everyone know, I am making huge steps with my confidence, and manged to talk in front of people this week for the first time, thank you for all your encouragement it means a lot.
Fizzy98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A retail job just as a sales assistant or something would be good! In a small shop preferably but even a big shop would be fine. You’ll get to know your coworkers gradually and people are generally really nice. I’ve made most of my friends through my retail jobs I also have social anxiety and got my first job when I was your age, I truly believe u can do it!!
secret.user
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just to let everyone know, I am making huge steps with my confidence, and manged to talk in front of people this week for the first time, thank you for all your encouragement it means a lot.
Omg well done I’ve also got social anxiety and I know how difficult that’d be so I could never do it. I’m also thinking about getting a summer job but it makes me feel so scared when I think about it
Arabicartist
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey guys I've suffered from social anxiety for a good few years now so I decided to write a short article with x3 of my top tips on how I tackle it on a day-day basis.

Have a read as some of them really work!

Link to the article: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/lif...tips-that-work
geniusiq139
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have some advise. This might be contentious as medication is often frowned upon. However as a student of psychiatry I’m am inclined to suggest this.

Personally I would get on an antidepressant - my recommendation would be paroxetine. It is the perfect medication for social anxiety. The effects of it; it should open you up, allowing you to speak more easily and communicate in a better way with everyone around you. It will aid you in all aspects of your life, not just work. But the main thing in reference to this post is that it will give you more confidence to apply for jobs, and also open up a whole new range of jobs to apply for.

You don’t have to commit to being on this medication for life. You’re only sixteen, and your brain is still developing. If you get out there and do the things which your brain needs to develop into a social person, such as working. Then once you are an adult you may not need medication.

I suggest you have a visit to your GP - you can do this by calling the surgery you are registered with. If you don’t know ask your parents. Tell the GP your symptoms, and what you want out of medication (to get a job). They will either prescribe it to you, or refer you to a psychiatrist who will prescribe it.

Anyway. If you chose to go down this route, then best of luck! I’m sure you’ll be a fantastic asset to any company once you are more confident with an antidepressant.
student-talk
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fizzy98)
A retail job just as a sales assistant or something would be good! In a small shop preferably but even a big shop would be fine. You’ll get to know your coworkers gradually and people are generally really nice. I’ve made most of my friends through my retail jobs I also have social anxiety and got my first job when I was your age, I truly believe u can do it!!
Thank you very much, it is good to hear from someone who has gone through the same experience as me, and has had a positive experience, thank you this has really helped em to feel more encouraged, I am hoping it will also help me to try new things and be more confident in the future. Thank you
student-talk
Rep:
?
(Original post by secret.user)
Omg well done I’ve also got social anxiety and I know how difficult that’d be so I could never do it. I’m also thinking about getting a summer job but it makes me feel so scared when I think about it
I understand how you feel, I feel so scared, trying to do it, but I have started to get more out of my comfort zone this year, and I feel taking small steps is the best way to go, as the more positive experiences you have the more likely you are to try things in the future. Try to try something small first then build up to doing bigger things. My therapist gave me some good advice number things in order of most to least scary and then try the easiest things first to help build up your confidence. I would say go for it, I believe in you, if I can do it I know you can do it, I hope some peoples kind advice they have given me on this chat will also help you, people gave some really good advice and I think it would be worth reading through this chat, I hope it helps you, even the tiniest amount. I am sure you are a really lovely person with a great personality, you can do anything, tell yourself thing every day, I hope that you mange to overcome this, and thank you for your kind words it means a lot. I believe in you!
student-talk
Rep:
?
(Original post by MarkTaylorCa)
Thank you I am really trying to overcome my fears this year, I hope to meet new people as I am a very quite person and I would like to meet new people, thank you for your advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.64%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.21%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (94)
14.71%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.86%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed