The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Seems fine to me.
I had never heard of it. I found this old thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4562926
Arden are a legitimate private university that specialize in distance learning and part time study.
They are registered with UCAS and accept student finance.

I know some people studying online with Arden and have a few friends going part time at the study centres in London & Manchester.
Their courses are accredited by ACCA, AMBA, BPS and CIM.
One of the MBAs is underwritten by the Uni of Bradford.
Reply 4
Original post by YaliaV
I had never heard of it. I found this old thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4562926

Yeah I read that thread as well. A lot of people just haven't heard of it where as the OU seems to carry more weight with potential empoylers. The reviews on the Arden Facebook page don't seem very positive either. I am leaning towards the OU I have to say. Just a shame that I'll have to wait until September.
Reply 5
Original post by londonmyst
Arden are a legitimate private university that specialize in distance learning and part time study.

I know some people studying online with Arden and have a few friends going part time at the study centres in London & Manchester.

So would you say that they are more reputable than the OU? Because they are the only 2 places I have found that offer distance learning.
Original post by Banjoben
So would you say that they are more reputable than the OU? Because they are the only 2 places I have found that offer distance learning.

It probably depends on the subjects you are planning to study and field you want to work in.
Most of the employers I have crossed paths with offering employees study sponsorship accepted arden without any questions, just sent out the bank transfer.
Arden have cultivated links with many businesses and awarding bodies.
Some employers can be critical of the ou and I've never come across one willing to sponsor ou study.
Reply 7
By looking at the BPS site it seams like east london, derby and highlands and islands are also offering accredited psychology distance learning BSc's
Reply 8
Original post by Sentenced_to
By looking at the BPS site it seams like east london, derby and highlands and islands are also offering accredited psychology distance learning BSc's

I have contacted all 3 of those institutions today. Hopefully I'll hear back from them next week.
Reply 9
Yeah they have offices in coventry but study centres all over. I have been a student with them for over a year and I find that what they promise they stick to and they also change things to suit the students.
I tried the OU and although they are reputable and people have heard of them, i found the information very out of date and lack support from tutors. I couldn't call them after 7pm because it's their free time. didn't feel comfortable, yet you could not call the tutors in daytime hours because their tutoring commitments. Dr Jane is tutoring at Cambridge., Dr Smith is tutoring at UC and I was like this is ridiculous, you have given me vague comments on my assignments I don't understand i need clarification. I have tried emails and just received out office notifications and don't even get me started the student support forums or facebook forums. I gave up!
I'm on my final year of a Law degree with Arden and have been more than happy with the course, it's delivery and the flexibility allowed by their online facilities. I've noticed that a number of the poorer reviews over the years have related to the interaction with other students and agree this can be difficult but that's the nature of this style of learning. Another complaint related to the online study materials but I have found them to be excellent throughout and the amount of information accessible via their online library and Westlaw (for Law students obviously) is fantastic although at degree level students should be expected to do their own research and not confine themselves to the materials provided. I was sceptical when researching online degrees but, as someone that works full-time, the course I'm doing through Arden has been really user friendly.
Also the big issue I found with the OU was that in the years I was doing the course I wasn’t allowed to refer to other material in assignments and go beyond reading the material and there was no flexibility on the final EMA. I presumed from others at uni, that I would get a choice over what to write like most dissertations have... but this place is was a project based on sexual health in the local community and they taken out out the research bit and i had plans for my own... mine was already in preparation stage.
Reply 13
Arden University is a huge scam, complete waste of money. dont bother. The tutor interaction is hit and miss, overall exceptionally poor. the content is lacklustre
Reply 14
I believe they are a genuine private university, however I have heard a lot of negative feedback about them.
I’ve just started my degree in Psychology with Open University and really enjoying it so far, it’s really good and I’m learning a lot. I would personally recommend it, I’ve found it supportive and good so far.
If you want to distance learning Psychology there is also one London university that does it as distant learning but the prices are much higher and I don’t know whether it would be as good as the OU.
Reply 15
No
Reply 16
Do you get normal student finance because its distance learning? Please Reply
Reply 17
Original post by londonmyst

Do they get normal student finance because its distance learning?
Reply 18
Never heard of it
Original post by Cnfnd
Do they get normal student finance because its distance learning?

They got the same tuition fee loans for part time and distance learning courses.
Only disabled students with serious health problems and one rape survivor were eligible for the maintenance loan component.

Latest