The Student Room Group

How long until I lose weight?

How long will it take for me to lose weight if I run and walk for half an hour every day? I am slowly getting fitter so I am now doing more running. I am going to eat healthily as well. By running and walking I mean it is one session, just not able to run the whole way yet. My BMI is classified as being overweight.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It takes quite a bit of time, but you may see a difference in 1-2 months :smile:
No idea, work it out with an app or something, you are the one with all the information to calculate and what weight you want to get too. Good Luck :tongue:
Reply 3
Hello, If you are overweight then you dont want to run everyday cause thats a recipe for injuries in you legs now if you want me to give you some advice here in this post im gonna need you to be detailing about some things .

Weight
Reply 4
Original post by monkeyman0121
No idea, work it out with an app or something, you are the one with all the information to calculate and what weight you want to get too. Good Luck :tongue:

Can you suggest any such app? Thanks for your help
Reply 5
Original post by arisas
Hello, If you are overweight then you dont want to run everyday cause thats a recipe for injuries in you legs now if you want me to give you some advice here in this post im gonna need you to be detailing about some things .

Weight

I am
67.3 kg, 20 years old and female
Original post by Lostx
Can you suggest any such app? Thanks for your help

I use myfitnesspal, you have to put some information and it will give you an amount of daily calories depending on what you put in. It also has a lot of foods which you can put into your diary so you can see whether your within your calories or not for the day or see the different things in specific foods. Good Luck!:tongue: (There are different ones but I use this one.)
Reply 7
Original post by Lostx
How long will it take for me to lose weight if I run and walk for half an hour every day? I am slowly getting fitter so I am now doing more running. I am going to eat healthily as well. By running and walking I mean it is one session, just not able to run the whole way yet. My BMI is classified as being overweight.

Yep... the running will get easier and easier. Keep up the good work and try not to simply eat more. Try longer walks at weekends too come the summer. You can miss so much driving.
Reply 8
I’ve put on 5 kg after running every day. Why is this!?
You haven't really given us much information to work with, but based on assumption, it could be that you're compensating for the exercise done by involuntarily increasing your daily mean caloric intake. Running alone doesn't burn as many calories as you'd think, at 10km/h you burn roughly 500 calories per hour whilst running on completely flat ground, but this varies in accordance to your weight and other variables. This means that at most, you're burning about 250 calories each time you go running, but if you include walking and don't run for the full 30 minutes the number of calories you burn drops drastically. Despite this, your body still registers it as extra exercise thus making you think you need more food than you really do, after a run like this a cereal bar is often enough to balance out what you've burned. Also, remember that the average human burns 1500 calories a day passively, so you can assume that you are burning around 2000 calories a day if you run every day for half an hour, considering you probably also walk a few kilometers every day. Taking into account all of this, my advice would be to start counting your actual daily caloric intake, and once you have a stable figure of how many calories you eat on an average, start acting accordingly.One of the main things you must do to lose weight is to go in a caloric deficit. This doesn't mean you have to be taking in 1000 calories less than what you burn, but you definitely shouldn't be taking in more than what you burn. If you aim for a 100-250 daily caloric deficit it should be quite sustainable. To help you with this, start eating more low calorie per volume foods such as fruits and vegetables which will fill you up whilst maintaining your caloric intake low. If you eat animal products, stay away from cheese at all costs, and try to limit the meat you eat to low-fat meat such as chicken or salmon, as these are high in protein and have relatively fewer calories per volume than beef or pork. Coming back to exercise, try to increase the time you are actually running in that half hour. You don't need to be going very fast, a light jog is enough to keep burning calories, but if you stop for a rest or you start walking you are likely to end up burning fewer calories than you'd expect, especially because the longer you run without slowing down or stopping, the more calories you will burn per minute, so if you can't run for the whole half hour yet, instead of doing a mix of running and walking for that time, try to run for as much time as possible and consider the moment when you stop running the end of the work out. Make sure you stretch well before and after running and warm up a little bit to mitigate the chances of getting cramps or having to stop for other reasons. Finally, I'd consider trying other activities that burn more calories per hour than jogging such as swimming, and try to incorporate exercise into your everyday life as much as possible; start using stairs instead of elevators, walk to places near enough, and if you have a bicycle cycle if they're a bit further. This will help you burn more calories more calories per day on average, and it will increase your endurance and stamina for when you go running or do other physical activity.Sorry for the long answer, I tried covering as many points as I could with the information you have provided us. I hope this helps and good luck with your weight loss journey!
Original post by Lostx
I’ve put on 5 kg after running every day. Why is this!?

How long have you been running?
What is your diet like?
It is good that you are running everday. But I suggest you try HIIT running. (e.g runing as fast as you can for 10 secs then rest for 40 by walking, then repeat 6-7 times and run the rest as you would normally. After that each day you should increase the time you run fast for and decrease rest time and do it throughout the run)

You should also remember to go in a caloric deficit and you should eat less fat, sugar, salt, sodium, carbs and overall just less calories. Obviousley you should have a few cheat meals here and there to enjoy life :wink:

Good Luck :smile:
You should see a difference in 1-2 months, but you have to be patient.
Reply 12
Original post by Cast Iron
What is your diet like?

Original post by Echoes1971
You haven't really given us much information to work with, but based on assumption, it could be that you're compensating for the exercise done by involuntarily increasing your daily mean caloric intake. Running alone doesn't burn as many calories as you'd think, at 10km/h you burn roughly 500 calories per hour whilst running on completely flat ground, but this varies in accordance to your weight and other variables. This means that at most, you're burning about 250 calories each time you go running, but if you include walking and don't run for the full 30 minutes the number of calories you burn drops drastically. Despite this, your body still registers it as extra exercise thus making you think you need more food than you really do, after a run like this a cereal bar is often enough to balance out what you've burned. Also, remember that the average human burns 1500 calories a day passively, so you can assume that you are burning around 2000 calories a day if you run every day for half an hour, considering you probably also walk a few kilometers every day. Taking into account all of this, my advice would be to start counting your actual daily caloric intake, and once you have a stable figure of how many calories you eat on an average, start acting accordingly.One of the main things you must do to lose weight is to go in a caloric deficit. This doesn't mean you have to be taking in 1000 calories less than what you burn, but you definitely shouldn't be taking in more than what you burn. If you aim for a 100-250 daily caloric deficit it should be quite sustainable. To help you with this, start eating more low calorie per volume foods such as fruits and vegetables which will fill you up whilst maintaining your caloric intake low. If you eat animal products, stay away from cheese at all costs, and try to limit the meat you eat to low-fat meat such as chicken or salmon, as these are high in protein and have relatively fewer calories per volume than beef or pork. Coming back to exercise, try to increase the time you are actually running in that half hour. You don't need to be going very fast, a light jog is enough to keep burning calories, but if you stop for a rest or you start walking you are likely to end up burning fewer calories than you'd expect, especially because the longer you run without slowing down or stopping, the more calories you will burn per minute, so if you can't run for the whole half hour yet, instead of doing a mix of running and walking for that time, try to run for as much time as possible and consider the moment when you stop running the end of the work out. Make sure you stretch well before and after running and warm up a little bit to mitigate the chances of getting cramps or having to stop for other reasons. Finally, I'd consider trying other activities that burn more calories per hour than jogging such as swimming, and try to incorporate exercise into your everyday life as much as possible; start using stairs instead of elevators, walk to places near enough, and if you have a bicycle cycle if they're a bit further. This will help you burn more calories more calories per day on average, and it will increase your endurance and stamina for when you go running or do other physical activity.Sorry for the long answer, I tried covering as many points as I could with the information you have provided us. I hope this helps and good luck with your weight loss journey!

Original post by kurro
It is good that you are running everday. But I suggest you try HIIT running. (e.g runing as fast as you can for 10 secs then rest for 40 by walking, then repeat 6-7 times and run the rest as you would normally. After that each day you should increase the time you run fast for and decrease rest time and do it throughout the run)

You should also remember to go in a caloric deficit and you should eat less fat, sugar, salt, sodium, carbs and overall just less calories. Obviousley you should have a few cheat meals here and there to enjoy life :wink:

Thank you so much for the replies! I am now running one hour a day, but I am still walking every now and again. To be honest it is difficult for me to eat healthily because I am in hospital and have only a limited number of options. Actually, just saying that, I am not always good. Relatives bring me in lots of snacks, and when hungry after a run I eat.

How can i stop this and eat healthier? Is there an app which counts calories?
If you're not losing weight them start eating healthier and don't eat fast food for 1 month at least , just to build your will power and yeah eat healthy
Original post by Lostx
Relatives bring me in lots of snacks, and when hungry after a run I eat.

How can i stop this and eat healthier? Is there an app which counts calories?

You want to watch out for that, exercise doesn't burn off as much calories as people seem to think it does, thus the expression you can't out train a bad diet. There's plenty of apps out there that will track your calorie intake. Just make sure you are eating a reasonable calorie deficit and stick to it. Make a note of what your weight is now and then stay off the scales for a month, then weigh yourself again. Don't be weighing yourself constantly because there's always little fluctuations and it's quite common to go up/down 4lbs over night simply because of water weight or other stuff. If you weigh yourself once a month you'll see a real difference.
Reply 15
Thank you for your time and your answers

Original post by TheYearNiner
If you're not losing weight them start eating healthier and don't eat fast food for 1 month at least , just to build your will power and yeah eat healthy

You want to watch out for that, exercise doesn't burn off as much calories as people seem to think it does, thus the expression you can't out train a bad diet. There's plenty of apps out there that will track your calorie intake. Just make sure you are eating a reasonable calorie deficit and stick to it. Make a note of what your weight is now and then stay off the scales for a month, then weigh yourself again. Don't be weighing yourself constantly because there's always little fluctuations and it's quite common to go up/down 4lbs over night simply because of water weight or other stuff. If you weigh yourself once a month you'll see a real difference.

Can you please tell me if what I am eating is ok or too unhealthy?

breakfast: two pieces of toast with butter on

lunch: jacket potato with cheese, tomatoes, sweet corn and cucumber

I have drunk 3/4 cups of tea today

I am limited in options because I am in hospital and they only do salad once a day
Ate a banana after an hour run.

For supper I had 4 hash browns, carrots and runner beans

Snacks: 5 baby-bells, 3 kit kat chunkies and 4 small bottles of Diet Coke. One white chocolate and cranberry cookie
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
What is your diet like?

My diet is as above. I have been running for about two weeks.
Reply 17
Original post by kurro

What is HITT training?
Original post by Lostx
What is HITT training?

(i explain it in the brackets...)
Reply 19
Ah, sorry. Haha

Quick Reply

Latest