The Student Room Group

Lied about my grades on my resume

So can they check my real results even if the job is in a different country? I was a private candidate so is not that they can call the highschooI used to attend since I didn’t take my A levels there’s, but at a different exam centre. It’s an administrator/ receptionist kind of job so how far back can they actually go?

Can they even contact Cambridge and demand my IGCSE and A levels results???
They probably won't do anything, but if the grades have any importance to the role they'll probably request proof of them... usually in the form of scanned certificates.

No proof, no job.
They can only get your certificates from you, but it highly unlikely that they will ever ask.

I have never been asked to prove my grades for anything.
I hope you get caught out. There needs to be stricter rules on this kind of thing. It's not fair on the people who actually put the effort in to get those grades.

You should get prison time or community service time for lying about such an important thing. It should also go down on permanent record that you lied.
Reply 4
Original post by DavidJES
I hope you get caught out. There needs to be stricter rules on this kind of thing. It's not fair on the people who actually put the effort in to get those grades.

You should get prison time or community service time for lying about such an important thing. It should also go down on permanent record that you lied.

If you cant beat em, join em

this is how people get jobs. Kissing employers’ feets, being related to them in one way, lying, deception etc

thats how the world works. I left uni 6 months ago and im realising this now

but i am a man of decency and integrity. I would never compromise on my values, so i guess im screwed
Original post by Yaqeen2
If you cant beat em, join em

this is how people get jobs. Kissing employers’ feets, being related to them in one way, lying, deception etc

thats how the world works. I left uni 6 months ago and im realising this now

but i am a man of decency and integrity. I would never compromise on my values, so i guess im screwed

I left uni 30 months ago and still don't have a job. So yes, take your own advice ASAP or you'll end up like me. If not, then yes, you are screwed. Remember me in 30 months.
Reply 6
Original post by Savvannahh
So can they check my real results even if the job is in a different country? I was a private candidate so is not that they can call the highschooI used to attend since I didn’t take my A levels there’s, but at a different exam centre. It’s an administrator/ receptionist kind of job so how far back can they actually go?

Original post by Decahedron
They can only get your certificates from you, but it highly unlikely that they will ever ask.

I have never been asked to prove my grades for anything.

Yes they can check. They can either ask for your certificates for each qualification, and/or they can use third party services to check references etc.
https://www.experian.co.uk/background-checking/education-checks.html
Do you really want to worry about whether they find out for the rest of your time there? Beyond stupid and really unfair to the people who bothered to work for their grades.
Reply 8
If it's a receptionist / admin. I don't think they'll care in the slightest as long as you show basic key skills.

I've never been checked for grades but I've only worked in small businesses.
Reply 9
Original post by Doonesbury
Yes they can check. They can either ask for your certificates for each qualification, and/or they can use third party services to check references etc.
https://www.experian.co.uk/background-checking/education-checks.html

The job is not in the UK, so I’m not sure if they are familiar with that. I’ve been honest before whenever they asked about my educational background, and they didn’t ask for my certificates, but I never had the chance to attend an interview. I lied this time and got an interview soon...
Reply 10
The job is not in the UK, so I’m not sure if they are familiar with that. I’ve been honest before whenever they asked about my educational background, and they didn’t ask for my certificates, but I never had the chance to attend an interview. I lied this time and got an interview soon...

What grades did you say you got, and what did you actually get?

If it's not important to your CV why lie? If it is important they can check. And they can always check later even if you actually start the job.

You seem to be assuming it's less likely they will check because it's an overseas country and may be unfamiliar with your qualifications - but actually that may make them MORE likely to check...

Many employers will want to see your certificates as part of the job application process. A few years ago everyone was re-checked because someone had been caught out iin a school in another LA. Lying is not worth the risk ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending