PGCE Biology Interview - need some advice Watch

Peppa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I have been offered an interview next Wednesday for PGCE Secondary Science (Biology) and I have to admit I am rather stressing myself out about it. A lot more than I thought I would. I think it is mostly due to a disasterous interview the first time around (this one would be my second), so I am desperate to get it right!

For the interview, I have to prepare a 5-minute presentation on 'an area of Science that is of particular interest' to me (does not have to be Biology, but I think it would be more favourable?), OR 'a particularly good Science lesson observed or experienced'.

I then have to complete a written exercise that is free prose, on Science Education/the role of Science in the curriculum.

With regards to the presentation, I am feeling a little stuck of how I can possibly give the interviewers the best impression of my potential in just 5 minutes. I don't have a directly-related degree (I have a degree in Forensic Science) so I'm thinking it would be better to go with the 'area of Science' option to show my potential to teach Science. However, how much can they really guage about that from 5 minutes? If I did go with this option, I'm thinking of doing it on inheritance, maybe with a game involving a 2x2 punnett square to predict the eye colour of the offspring. It's something that is hands-on and can be made fun with maybe sweet colours (brown, green & blue) instead of the usual just writing in boxes, so it's more visual. Does this sound like a good idea? I'm sure it's something I could fit into 5 minutes and could be extended to a whole lesson (I'm intending to do a lesson plan just in case they expect one).

The lesson observed/experienced could be a good presentation but I don't know how I could structure it to fit into the alloted time. When I read the email, I initially thought of a presentaion on the importance of Science (for medicine, food, technology, travel etc.) that pupils would potentially overlook (I took this idea from a Science lesson I experienced, in which one of the pupils stated that they didn't think Science was as important as Maths and English - which obviously was the wrong thing to say to a Science teacher!). But I'm not sure this would be suitable as I think they would be looking more for examples of teaching methods, over relating Science lessons to real life (something I could mention in the written task anyway).

Apologies for the long post, but I would really appreciate any advice on how to approach the presentation task. Note: I should also mention that we are allowed to use standard visual aids (e.g Powerpoint), but I think it would be better to do it without.

Thank you
Dalightfool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
From my experience, the purpose of the interview (mine was exactly a year ago today) was just to see our presentation skills. So I would advise you to just pick an area from the GCSE specification (AQA or Edexcel) and run with it - make it fun, engaging and draw your audience in when you present to them. If they see you can present well, they will more than likely give you the offer. Subject knowledge is only 1 teacher standard, and it is often assumed you have it in abundance already. So focus on your delivery - practise in front of a mirror, or in front of family/frends, if that helps you be more confident.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (212)
59.89%
No (142)
40.11%

Watched Threads