UmamiPiñapple
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Ask me anything and everything about GCSEs

I took Maths, the two Englishes, Triple science, geography, Spanish and textiles.

AQA’s a b****
username4221920
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you did A Christmas Carol in Eng Lit, did you have a technique to answer the exam questions about it? Thanks
msarahxx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
when did u start revising and give us all your tips
Zoeyyyyyyyy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Were u naturally clever or had to work really hard?? And when did u start revising thoroughly??
tasneem.016
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UmamiPiñapple)Ask me anything and everything about GCSEs

I took Maths, the two Englishes, Triple science, geography, Spanish and textiles.

AQA’s a b****

is Spanish worth it? I am picking my options and I don't know if I should do Spanish. also, how did you balance your time table along with triple science
That'sGreat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UmamiPiñapple)
Ask me anything and everything about GCSEs

AQA’s a b****
Wow, 8 GCSEs and a textiles... how impressive
UmamiPiñapple
Rep:
?
(Original post by That'sGreat)
Wow, 8 GCSEs and a textiles... how impressive
Is that sarcasm?
Raahima
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any specific websites or resources you’d say were your go to for anything you didn’t understand?
I use Corbett maths and mathswatch and the boring free science lessons guy on YouTube but everyone uses them and I feel it’s too basic.
Is there anything you feel you used that helped you get the edge on everyone else?
UmamiPiñapple
Rep:
?
(Original post by tasneem.016)
(Original post by UmamiPiñapple)Ask me anything and everything about GCSEs

AQA’s a b****

is Spanish worth it? I am picking my options and I don't know if I should do Spanish. also, how did you balance your time table along with triple science
Personally I really enjoyed Spanish and found it to be the least time consuming GCSE to revise for, apart from maths. I’d say it’s totally worth it, especially if you like languages!!
As for triple science, I’d say it really is a commitment. It’ll take up most of your revision time, so honestly only take it if you want to do A level science. But it is fun and you learn a lot of interesting things, so if you like science I’d say go for it!! Balancing my timetable with it was fine as we had many end of topic tests so you’re really revising throughout.
UmamiPiñapple
Rep:
?
(Original post by Raahima)
Any specific websites or resources you’d say were your go to for anything you didn’t understand?
I use Corbett maths and mathswatch and the boring free science lessons guy on YouTube but everyone uses them and I feel it’s too basic.
Is there anything you feel you used that helped you get the edge on everyone else?
If you do a language, Memrise is a saviour. Look for the GCSE specific course and just do 20 minutes a day. You’ll find that you know nearly all the vocab that will come up in the exam and you’ll feel super confident going in.

For English, I’d say rather than looking online (as most people do so you’ll have the same stuff as everyone else), ask your teacher for extra resources like lectures, past papers, revision cards and examples. Also do lots of practice and send them essays to mark-I’m sure they won’t mind!!

For maths, search for the Churchill papers. These are comprised of the hardest questions you’d ever find at GCSE so going into the exam you’ll be prepared for anything. Khan academy is good for maths videos if you’re unsure about anything (also pretty good for science although may touch on things not on the syllabus as it’s an American website).

For past papers for pretty much all subjects, go on revision world. There’s also quite a lot of resources for revision too.

Free science lessons is a good way to consolidate revision ( I only watched him the day before my science exams just to review everything I’d learnt) but don’t use it as a main form of revision. Past paper questions and flash cards are honestly the best way to really understand everything. I’d recommend the CGP science workbooks that are grade 9 targeted- much like the Churchill papers they pretty much cover all the hard questions that could come up, and many were very similar to what was asked on the day.

I hope you find this useful!!
UmamiPiñapple
Rep:
?
(Original post by bericderek)
If you did A Christmas Carol in Eng Lit, did you have a technique to answer the exam questions about it? Thanks
I didn’t do a Christmas Carol, I did Jekyll and Hyde, Macbeth, DNA and love and relationships poetry (still seething over Singh Song coming up lol!!). However, my main tip would be to closely analyse the extract they give you (write three paragraphs for three quotations from it) and then link this to two quotes or devices used in the novel. Sandwich the two paragraphs from the rest of the novel alternately with the extract paragraphs so it really flows well. Oh, and also remember to plan each paragraph and the essay structure for about 5-10 mins at the beginning.
coolio333
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, congrats on your grades.
We got our mock results back & I do: maths, 2 englishes, double science, history, rs , drama & Spanish.
So for double science ikno its easier than triple science & I got a grade 7 - 6 when we sat 2018 papers for mocks. I want to get a grade 9 - 9 & the revision source I have been using is freesciencelessons & pastpapers. Is that not enough for double science? (my teacher said I need an average of 50/70 for all 6 papers)?? what else should I do.

Also for Spanish I got a grade 6 with no revision. But im hoping to push it to a grade 8 with revision? what shld I do.

For maths, I currently use corbettmaths & pastpapers. I was thinking of going thru all corbettmaths vids/worksheets & completing a pastpaper a week to see my improvement.

For english i havent really found a revision source ( edexcel - Romeo & J, Animal frm, A christmas carol & Poetry/time & place) - i have just created essay points for each theme for each book so far & practised essays - anythng else i can do??

Thanks
UmamiPiñapple
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zoeyyyyyyyy)
Were u naturally clever or had to work really hard?? And when did u start revising thoroughly??
I think that even naturally clever people have to work hard for GCSEs. And everyone is naturally clever at something, so everyone has to work hard- there’s no way of getting out of revising really well lol crying

I started revising for GCSEs properly after, not during, February half term. If you properly revised for your mocks, this is plenty of time to thoroughly revise. I honestly did nothing from the beginning of the Christmas holidays to the end of feb half term (except for writing flashcards/notes and doing homework). Have all your revision material ready by the end of Feb half term.
UmamiPiñapple
Rep:
?
(Original post by msarahxx)
when did u start revising and give us all your tips
See above for tips and when I started revising
Will_W
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What past papers should i do for sciences? Because of the new spec i can't get papers for the new spec so do you know what the closest spec is? I'm doing edexcel
That'sGreat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UmamiPiñapple)
Is that sarcasm?
Yes
jawaidaboss
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I'm doing Jekyll and Hyde, Macbeth, Lord of the Flies and Power and Conflict for English Literature.
Seeing as you did Jekyll and Hyde and Macbeth at GCSE Do you have any tips for how to revise those?
It would be really helpful.
Thank You
UmamiPiñapple
Rep:
?
(Original post by Will_W)
What past papers should i do for sciences? Because of the new spec i can't get papers for the new spec so do you know what the closest spec is? I'm doing edexcel
Do all of the specimen papers for triple and also for dual as the dual specimens have the same spec as triple minus a few topics. Also, as I mentioned above CGP have a grade 9 targeted workbook for each science which is really helpful and has loads of great questions.
(Original post by Will_W)
UmamiPiñapple
Rep:
?
(Original post by jawaidaboss)
Hey, I'm doing Jekyll and Hyde, Macbeth, Lord of the Flies and Power and Conflict for English Literature.
Seeing as you did Jekyll and Hyde and Macbeth at GCSE Do you have any tips for how to revise those?
It would be really helpful.
Thank You
I’d say make a list of all of the quotes that can be used for multiple themes and have really good devices, and learn these. But above all, the best thing for English is to do loads of practice essays so you can manage time and cover as many things that might come up in the exam as possible.
UmamiPiñapple
Rep:
?
Nice
Last edited by UmamiPiñapple; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (176)
9.88%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.87%

Watched Threads