Have I made the right university choice with Westminster? Watch

abbie-compton02
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I recently accepted my unconditional offer to study LLB Law at the University of Westminster and rejected Sheffield hallam, Leeds beckett, Nottingham trent and University of Sheffield (I never wanted to go but my teachers told me to apply so I did). I looked around the law department on regents Street and I loved the university, the location, the facilities, etc. However I have read lots of reviews today and they're extremely mixed - some people love the university and some people hate it there.

I can't change it now really unless I want to go through clearing as all my other offers immediately got declined once I accepted westminster, so I just want to know if you guys have ever been or have applied and are feeling the same as me??

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated
University of Westminster
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by abbie-compton02)
I recently accepted my unconditional offer to study LLB Law at the University of Westminster and rejected Sheffield hallam, Leeds beckett, Nottingham trent and University of Sheffield (I never wanted to go but my teachers told me to apply so I did). I looked around the law department on regents Street and I loved the university, the location, the facilities, etc. However I have read lots of reviews today and they're extremely mixed - some people love the university and some people hate it there.

I can't change it now really unless I want to go through clearing as all my other offers immediately got declined once I accepted westminster, so I just want to know if you guys have ever been or have applied and are feeling the same as me??

Hi there

It's great to hear you've accepted an Unconditional Offer at Westminster to study Law. I thought I'd let you know that the LLB Law course has just confirmed that students can study a Year Abroad between their 2nd and 3rd year. If you're interested here's a list of countries you can go to:

George Mason University USA
Seton Hall University USA
Suffolk University USA
Queensland University of Technology (QUT) Australia
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) Australia
University of Technology Sydney (UTS) Australia
Universiteit Antwerpen Belgium
Universite de Bordeaux France
Université Paris Ouest Nanterre La Défense France
Freie Universität Berlin Germany
Universiteit Maastricht Netherlands
Universidad de Alicante Spain
Universidad de Granada Spain
Universidad de Salamanca Spain
Lund University Sweden
Stockholm University Sweden

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
abbie-compton02
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Westminster)
Hi there

It's great to hear you've accepted an Unconditional Offer at Westminster to study Law. I thought I'd let you know that the LLB Law course has just confirmed that students can study a Year Abroad between their 2nd and 3rd year. If you're interested here's a list of countries you can go to:

George Mason University USA
Seton Hall University USA
Suffolk University USA
Queensland University of Technology (QUT) Australia
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) Australia
University of Technology Sydney (UTS) Australia
Universiteit Antwerpen Belgium
Universite de Bordeaux France
Université Paris Ouest Nanterre La Défense France
Freie Universität Berlin Germany
Universiteit Maastricht Netherlands
Universidad de Alicante Spain
Universidad de Granada Spain
Universidad de Salamanca Spain
Lund University Sweden
Stockholm University Sweden

Best wishes

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
This has been something I've always been interested in I just didn't think you could do it for this course!! Thank you for letting me know
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
This has been something I've always been interested in I just didn't think you could do it for this course!! Thank you for letting me know
I think Sheffield and Nottingham Trent may have been better choices especially for Law. Have you been to the campuses
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
kristinaskybova
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey! I am a 3rd-year Law student at the moment, about to graduate this year. I think as with any University, there will be mixed reviews. If there is anything I have learnt from being at Uni, it's that it is not about where you are, it is about you tailoring your own University experience. For me, Westminster was not my first choice as unfortunately, I missed my first choice Uni by only 3 marks. Saying that, I am so glad that I went to Westminster because of the fantastic staff and their dedication in pushing you to get the best grades possible. I understand most people's concern that it is not a Russel Group University, but honestly, I wouldn't even think about that at all. If you are dedicated enough and Law is something you want to do as a career you will get there whatever Uni you go to. Most importantly, (cannot stress this enough from experience), London is the place to be if you are thinking about being a lawyer because they are everywhere!! There are so many activities, talks, workshops and so on for Law at Westminster which I probably would not have done if I went elsewhere. If you loved the campus and you had a good feeling about it then I don't see a reason why you shouldn't go for it! I have many friends at other Universities in London and outside of, and I don't regret being where I am. Good luck
S.H.Rahman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

Researching into the graduate prospects, student satisfaction, degree result etc. I came out with the following order ranking the Universities in term of what's best on paper. What's best on paper may not always correlate to what's best for you though since your experience at the university itself may be different to what is there statistically. But, also bare in mind universities do try only show its good parts on open days and stuff which may mean there is a lot bad you see once your actually in there as a paying student.

1) Nottingham Trent - Has outstanding student satisfaction with 93%, the highest of the lot, as well as having great graduate prospects.
2) Sheffield - Has great graduate prospects and student satisfaction with the best graduate prospects of the lot.
3) Sheffield Hallam - Has great student satisfaction on par with the 2 above but lacks when it comes to the other departments it doesn't compete with 2 above.
4) Westminister - Poor in some departments with decent graduate prospects with comes in with lowest student satisfaction by far.
5) Leeds Becket - This university performs poorly in most departments but does have a pretty good student satisfaction that being said.

With those, Nottingham Trent and Sheffield were the stand-out winners on paper so I'd have gone for one of these 2 personally when making my decision finalising which one by visiting each of them and seeing which ones feels better to be in personally.
abbie-compton02
Rep:
?
(Original post by kristinaskybova)
Hey! I am a 3rd-year Law student at the moment, about to graduate this year. I think as with any University, there will be mixed reviews. If there is anything I have learnt from being at Uni, it's that it is not about where you are, it is about you tailoring your own University experience. For me, Westminster was not my first choice as unfortunately, I missed my first choice Uni by only 3 marks. Saying that, I am so glad that I went to Westminster because of the fantastic staff and their dedication in pushing you to get the best grades possible. I understand most people's concern that it is not a Russel Group University, but honestly, I wouldn't even think about that at all. If you are dedicated enough and Law is something you want to do as a career you will get there whatever Uni you go to. Most importantly, (cannot stress this enough from experience), London is the place to be if you are thinking about being a lawyer because they are everywhere!! There are so many activities, talks, workshops and so on for Law at Westminster which I probably would not have done if I went elsewhere. If you loved the campus and you had a good feeling about it then I don't see a reason why you shouldn't go for it! I have many friends at other Universities in London and outside of, and I don't regret being where I am. Good luck
This has been so helpful thank you so much!!! That's why I chose a uni in London as I knew the graduate prospects would be the best there, so thank you so much for this it's helped put everything into order for me
naufam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello Abbie, I am a final year LLB student at UoW. The multicultural and multinational aspect of the intake of UoW provides you with the opportunity to mingle with people from all parts of the world, giving you the benefit of understanding different cultures, perspectives and backgrounds. What's more? You have the opportunity to do part-time administrative work in different departments of the University. And of course, the location of UoW is unbeatable! How will this help you? One simple example from my experience is when attending open days and vacation schemes at law firms, all it took was a short commute, and so it was no problem for me to attend as many open days as possible. In reference to the Law School, in particular, in my experience, the tutors are always ready to assist. I have been given the opportunity to not only study law, but also am constantly motivated to achieve excellent results through awards such as Excellence Awards given to top performing students each year. I know several students and graduates from the UoW that have secured training contracts in Magic Circle and international law firms.I agree with Kristina. What is important is what you make out of your university experience.Hope you like it here.
abbie-compton02
Rep:
?
(Original post by naufam)
Hello Abbie, I am a final year LLB student at UoW. The multicultural and multinational aspect of the intake of UoW provides you with the opportunity to mingle with people from all parts of the world, giving you the benefit of understanding different cultures, perspectives and backgrounds. What's more? You have the opportunity to do part-time administrative work in different departments of the University. And of course, the location of UoW is unbeatable! How will this help you? One simple example from my experience is when attending open days and vacation schemes at law firms, all it took was a short commute, and so it was no problem for me to attend as many open days as possible. In reference to the Law School, in particular, in my experience, the tutors are always ready to assist. I have been given the opportunity to not only study law, but also am constantly motivated to achieve excellent results through awards such as Excellence Awards given to top performing students each year. I know several students and graduates from the UoW that have secured training contracts in Magic Circle and international law firms.I agree with Kristina. What is important is what you make out of your university experience.Hope you like it here.
Hi! Thank you for responding to this, one of the things that appealed to me a lot was how multicultural the university was because it allows you to mix with so many people from everywhere and learn, so thank you for mentioning how beneficial it is! And yeah being in the centre of London is definitely what sold it overall because of the opportunities available - it just means making the most out of what's offered I suppose.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to this, good luck on your final year!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• University of Westminster
    All Departments will be open. Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Sep '19
    All Departments will be open. Undergraduate
    Sat, 12 Oct '19