username4221920
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I know this is about my fifth question about options but it will probably be the last! I’ve decided that I will be taking French and Food Preparation and Nutrition as two of my options, which leaves one more. I’m torn between History and Geography!
I had a presentation evening where you learned about both courses, and before I went I was keen to do Geography. However, the presentation was quite bad, and put me off. The main thing that put me off was ‘learning about pebbles’ and river landforms which I think would be quite boring. I would enjoy some of it, but I’d mainly rely on it being easy to get me through. I’ve also heard countless people on here and in real life say that Geography was fun in years 7-9 but boring in year 11, and people who took both Geography and History said they enjoyed History more. I know that there are people who would disagree with this, but this is mainly just the majority.
I’ve never enjoyed History that much, but looking at the curriculum that my school does I think I would generally enjoy it and be good at it. I am predicted 9s in both subjects, and so I think I could do well in both, but it’s just a matter of which would be more enjoyable.
If anyone took either or both, what did you think? Did you enjoy one more? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks
iBearHQ
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was in the same boat as you when I selected my choices. Ended up going with just Geography.

The physical side of it can get a bit boring, especially the stuff about coastal landscapes and processes but I think the human side of it makes up for it. My advice would be to go with whatever you think you would enjoy more
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i did geography from year 7 and really enjoyed it at gcse, i think you can get through the exams with more common sense (esp human geography) compared to history plus i found the physical geography quite interesting but that'll depend on the student's interests ofc.
Izzy.kw
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was the same when picking my options and I ended up taking geography. It’s actually really interesting and everyone I know that took history regrets it and apparently there is loads of content and key dates to learn.

But just take which one you think you would enjoy. If you don’t enjoy history now then don’t take it.
greenBird17
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did both, I really think it depends upon your preferences..... I think doing both is really beneficial, HOWEVER, (I’m saying this with a major bias lol) I would 100% recommend history!

Edit: I thought I should add that history was never my favourite subject nor was I particularly skilled at it before taking the GCSE (similar to what you said). But this changed once I did it at GSCE, and now I’m going to do it at uni!
Last edited by greenBird17; 1 year ago
James1908
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I took both GCSE History and Geography. History, depending on the curricleam is a very entriguing and intereastig subject. It is regarded as a strong GCSE. The topics at my school are really good. I do Medicine Through Time which is maazing, Cold War, Germany and Elizabeth which are equally as good. GCSE Geograpy is ok. The curricleam is quite boring. Physical geograpy e.g. rivers and coasts is very intereasting, alothough sounds boring. Human geography is quite boring for me. The exam for geograpy is diffcult as timing is a massive issue. There are lots of 6 mark, 9 mark and 4 mark questions and not enough time.

In conclusion, I would strongly recommend History. Have a think about furture career paths. You need to choose subjects at GCSE's which will allow you to meet the entry requirements for subjects at A-Level which are required by universaties/colleges to qualify in the career you want. For example, if you want to be a History teacher, take GCSE and A Level History which are complusory subjects to be taken.
keileywalsh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bericderek)
Hi, I know this is about my fifth question about options but it will probably be the last! I’ve decided that I will be taking French and Food Preparation and Nutrition as two of my options, which leaves one more. I’m torn between History and Geography!
I had a presentation evening where you learned about both courses, and before I went I was keen to do Geography. However, the presentation was quite bad, and put me off. The main thing that put me off was ‘learning about pebbles’ and river landforms which I think would be quite boring. I would enjoy some of it, but I’d mainly rely on it being easy to get me through. I’ve also heard countless people on here and in real life say that Geography was fun in years 7-9 but boring in year 11, and people who took both Geography and History said they enjoyed History more. I know that there are people who would disagree with this, but this is mainly just the majority.
I’ve never enjoyed History that much, but looking at the curriculum that my school does I think I would generally enjoy it and be good at it. I am predicted 9s in both subjects, and so I think I could do well in both, but it’s just a matter of which would be more enjoyable.
If anyone took either or both, what did you think? Did you enjoy one more? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks
I picked geography and am now going to take it for a levels. The best i'd say is the tectonics and some human aspects. The fieldwork is the worst by far for me
maisiex10x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I take geography, and also am doing it for A-levels, would definitely recomend!
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by greenBird17)
Edit: I thought I should add that history was never my favourite subject nor was I particularly skilled at it before taking the GCSE (similar to what you said). But this changed once I did it at GSCE, and now I’m going to do it at uni!
That was an interesting and pleasant turnaround. History GCSE kind of left nearly the opposite impact on me aha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads