Shakespeare Watch

sn.003
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
My Teacher gave me a grade 7 on this paragraph but she didn't tell me what to improve? Tbh sometimes I just think she overmarks lol.

How does Shakespeare present Benedick in Act 1, Scene 1?

Shakespeare presents Benedick as witty in Act 1, Scene 1. He first addresses Beatrice as "Lady Disdain", an uncommon phrase for the Elizabethan era. His wit is identified straightaway as he turns from the stereotypical conduct of the Elizabethan society juxtaposing two very dangerous words together; the noun "lady" was often associated with pureness and clarity, something which Shakespeare presents in Benedick to know all too well. This righteousness that Benedick identifies is immediately 'shut down' when he introduces Beatrice as a mark of "disdain". Therefore, Shakespeare implicitly presents Benedicks and Beatrices relationship as being one of uniqueness - with "disdain" connoting hatred, readers can deduce that Benedick is quite saddened by the fact that Beatrice may not like him thus creating a theme of unconditional love already in the play. Hence, Shakespeare presents Benedicks ingenuity as being one of anachronism, against the patriarchal laws of Elizabethan society.
Last edited by sn.003; 3 months ago
Corps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’m not familiar with the new grading system but if the basics of English still apply I’d say just pick a quotation apart as much as possible, if in doubt add in another technique to support your argument. I would say how the repetition of ‘d’ creates plosives sounds which may come across as harsh to the audience...
Hope I could help
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Tolgarda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Maybe that's the highest a teacher could give for a single paragraph? I'm personally lost for improvements here too (although the difference here is that I don't own a PGCSE).
sn.003
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Ah, thanks a lot! (Original post by Corps)I’m not familiar with the new grading system but if the basics of English still apply I’d say just pick a quotation apart as much as possible, if in doubt add in another technique to support your argument. I would say how the repetition of ‘d’ creates plosives sounds which may come across as harsh to the audience...
Hope I could help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (410)
30.35%
The paper was reasonable (535)
39.6%
Not feeling great about that exam... (230)
17.02%
It was TERRIBLE (176)
13.03%

Watched Threads