Classic car insurance Watch

J.royce
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi I'm 17 in a couple of months and I'm looking to get classic car maybe an Austin a35 ,But I can't find any reasonable prices on insurance , I'm trying to find out before I buy one and start restoration .any thorts ?
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Moved to cars and motoring
nevershear
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you have another family member who is also enthusiastic about the work you want to do on that car and is willing to drive it, get them to insure it and drive it, they can add you later when you pass. That's going to need a lot of work and all the best insurers (in my opinion) for a car like that won't quote for you (Brentacre is probably one of the best classic car insurers in the country but they won't even talk to you without decent driving experience and age).

It is, as you can imagine, a horrendous daily (decent MPG but no modern safety features it takes something stupid like 15 seconds to reach 30 mph lol) so I'm also going to make the assumption you're buying something else to build NCB and driving experience.
Last edited by nevershear; 3 weeks ago
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Classic cars are great first time driver cars. My second car was a 1968 Morris Minor. Not fast enough to get me into any trouble and warned you to back off well in advance if you did manage to push it towards the limit of handling.

Back then I was insured with a special policy through Adrian Flux and it was dirt cheap. The only requirement was that I was a member of the MMOC (Morris Minor Owners Club). I had that car for two years and paid ~£700/year for insurance. For comparison I got a mk3 Golf 1.4 petrol afterwards and that was a lot more expensive to insure - mainly because the classic car policy NCB wasn't valid for normal car policies.
J.royce
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm hoping that it will be around 900 for the year if I join a club but it's all on gess work and there's none that I know that's 17 and has a classic car .
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Are you actually going to drive it?
If not, then declare it off the road or sth.
J.royce
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Around 5 days a week I'll be using it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (215)
60.06%
No (143)
39.94%

Watched Threads