What is studying in QMUL for History like? Watch

harryisalegend
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(for the full 3 years) Do you have to do presentations? How are the lectures/seminars? Are the seminars/lectures more important than the other or are they equally significant that you have to attend both?

Are essays due every week?
CarefreeDreams
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi!

I'm in my first year of studying straight History at QMUL.
Speaking from first year on my second term now, you don't have to do a lot of presentations currently. There is one compulsory module in the first term that all History students have to take where you have to present 3 times, but its actually fine (the first 2 times are practice, and the last one is where you're actually assessed). Sometimes depending on your seminar leader, you may have to present individual on the reading of the week, it not as scary as it sounds, you just need to give a quick summary of the reading and then say what you found interesting or what you got from the reading.

Speaking truthfully here, for the first 5 weeks I went to every lecture for all my modules (you take about 3-4 in your first term) but after week 5 I didn't go as regularly. My reasons are as follows: they record every lecture that happens so as long as you are committed to having a dedicated hour to rewatch the lecture in your own time, I don't see the problem. Also first term, I had like 3 9am lectures which was not fun to go to because I'm a commuter from West London so I'd have to get up pretty early or sometimes the train would be too packed and I'd miss the first half of the lecture.

You must must go to ALL YOUR SEMINARS!! They don't check lecture attendance but they do check seminar attendance, and if you miss I think its 3 seminars in a term you have to explain yourself to your adviser.

I think there is an equal weighting of importance for both lectures and seminars. Lectures are where you are learning the content or the subject matter, you are being introduced to what you will be looking at further in your seminar later that week. They can be very interesting, some can be boring, some you can discover a new interest. Seminar's allow you to ask questions about what you heard in the lecture, questions about the reading, group discussions, clarification over stuff you may have found confusing or points you want to raise because they are interesting.

I can't lie for seminars there is A LOT OF READING!!! Not to scare you or anything but you could read maybe 3 pages one week for a module or expected to read 30 pages per modules which if you do 4 modules is 120 pages each week!! It may not seem like a lot, but if the reading is dull then it can take forever.

We don't have essays or assignments due every week, I think my first assignment my first term was due in the last week of November or something. I had no January exams (nice xmas break) right now I'm on my reading week and I have 3 assignments due this coming Monday (x2 1,000 word essays and x1 1,500 essay). Quite manageable if you plan and start early and I work part-time so it is manageable.
harryisalegend
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you!

Do the presentations count towards a final grade? Also when they record the lectures, where can you access them? What are you currently studying?
CarefreeDreams
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by harryisalegend)
Thank you!

Do the presentations count towards a final grade? Also when they record the lectures, where can you access them? What are you currently studying?
Not all presentations count towards final grades. Like I believe the first year (unlike the common myth) does count towards your overall final grade (first year is worth 10% I believe at QMUL). Maybe later on in second year, presentations might count, but it will be a small % so you shouldn't have to worry.

Recorded lectures will appear under your module tab (kinda hard to explain if you can see the website) but essentially it will be under whatever module you are doing near the top under a file called Q-REVIEW (every lecture will be on there for each week for that module). It goes up pretty fast normally about 15 minutes to 30 minutes after the lecture has finished.

For this term I'm doing Screening History (lecturer talks for 45 minutes about a film, then we watch it), Life and Death in the Victorian Home (looking at a middle class household in the Victorian period, lol its actually a lot more interesting than I'm describing it), Europe in a Global Context (this is a continuation from last term so we started with the French Revolution and now we are looking at The Cold War) and The Foundation of Modern Thought (it's basically philosophy, although it would kill my seminar leader to hear me say that lol, but we look at thinkers and we debate their work).

Other modules that people are currently taking are Unravelling Britain, Race and Desire, Building the American Nation, Reformation Europe, Medieval Europe.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Queen Mary University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (148)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.81%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (135)
16.98%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.21%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.69%
How can I be the best version of myself? (244)
30.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed