Today Years Old

Watch
Maven Writers
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
It's funny how late in the day (rather in life) that one gets to discover something they should have from the get-go. I have a few that are too embarrassing to share. But I recently was told that the phrase "Be there or be square" was from the shapes, as in since you won't be around (a circle), then you'll be another shape (a square).
And is it true that a TV show's first episode is called a Pilot because it is the first to air?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
The precise etymology of 'pilot episode' is debated, but the likely source is from the adjectival form of pilot used in the following way (circa 1890s):

That serves as a prototype or trial prior to a full-scale operation or activity; experimental, initial.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
The 'square' thing was used in jazz circles in the 1940s to mean 'boring' or 'old fashioned'. I doubt it has any link to 'a-round' at all.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I had an inkling about both (especially 'pilot'), but I also have a subsciption to the OED and can check it out quickly, ha.

My Nan was born in in the 20s and used to call people 'squares' all the time, actually!
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gjd800)
The precise etymology of 'pilot episode' is debated, but the likely source is from the adjectival form of pilot used in the following way (circa 1890s):

That serves as a prototype or trial prior to a full-scale operation or activity; experimental, initial.
It's "pilot episode" as in "pilot light". A show's pilot was originally not aired, but screened privately to a studio's executives to get their gea or nay.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tootles)
It's "pilot episode" as in "pilot light". A show's pilot was originally not aired, but screened privately to a studio's executives to get their gea or nay.
Yes, 'pilot light' predating the TV useage by about 70 years.

But 'pilot light' also loosely fitting into the etymolgoy above given that it is the 'initial' spark leading to the larger event (boiler etc). One might also say that a recording given to the execs for approval is a 'prototype'.
Tootles
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yes, 'pilot light' predating the TV useage by about 70 years.

But 'pilot light' also loosely fitting into the etymolgoy above given that it is the 'initial' spark leading to the larger event (boiler etc). One might also say that a recording given to the execs for approval is a 'prototype'.
Yes, I was just more specifically applying it to this situation. It's also used of "pilot schemes" in government, medicine, et al.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I love folk etymologies, which are proven incorrect by a 5-second Google.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yes, I was just more specifically applying it to this situation. It's also used of "pilot schemes" in government, medicine, et al.
Yeah!

Have you somehow disabled your rep? A few times now I have gone to click and it has disappeared, haha!
Tootles
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yeah!

Have you somehow disabled your rep? A few times now I have gone to click and it has disappeared, haha!
A few people have asked this... no I haven't.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
How strange, I wonder what that's about :-/
Notoriety
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yeah!

I believe it happens when they change their settings to not show rep gems. It also takes away the rep button.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I believe it happens when they change their settings to not show rep gems. It also takes away the rep button.
I see - that'd explain it, ta!
Tootles
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
That must be new, my gems have been hidden for years and people have only started not being able to rep me. I figured it was a bug in the new interface rollout, it's damaged a couple of things for me.
Notoriety
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
That must be new, my gems have been hidden for years and people have only started not being able to rep me. I figured it was a bug in the new interface rollout, it's damaged a couple of things for me.
Yeah, a lot of issus and less functionality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (64)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.73%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (134)
25.82%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
8.29%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (251)
48.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.47%

Watched Threads